File Locations

wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
I've been trying to get a comprised list of all your windows file locations for each different version of windows and startup files, etc. Anyone got any nice links I could possibly use?
Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I cannot recommend Microsoft MVP websites enough for your research pages. These guys/girls typically put all their speciality knowledge into a useable resouce. Grant it, it can all be found somewhere within the MS site...but WOW, that's a lot of digging ;)

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Startup.htm

This doesn't cover everything, but perhaps will lead you down the right path.

(take care to note the MVP site is www.mvps.org other variations may not take you to sites for all eyes ;) )
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    Okay, that's all good, but I was mainly referring to the locations of :

- The Registry
    - File such as Autoexec.bat , config.sys , etc. (although I'm pretty sure that page you just listed has a good list of the startup locations for those files)

Anyways, that's a good start as you so stated, and I do appreciate that. I will be re-rereading that page a couple of times to make sense of it.
    Sorry icon_sad.gif

Still fun reading ;)

How about these:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
    The Registry replaces most of the text-based .ini files used in Windows 3.x and MS-DOS configuration files, such as the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. Although the Registry is common to several Windows operating systems, there are some differences among them.

http://www.e-articles.info/e/a/title/Starting-Backdoors-Automatically/
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    wwpranma wrote:
    Okay, that's all good, but I was mainly referring to the locations of :

- The Registry

From Wikipedia (easier to copy/paste from somewhere).

Registry locations
    The Registry is stored in several files; depending upon the version of Windows, there will be different files and different locations for these files, but they are all on the local machine, except for the Ntuser.dat file, which may be placed on another computer to allow for roaming profiles and the policy file, which is usually stored on a server in the local network.

[edit] Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Server 2003
    The following Registry files are stored in %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\:

Sam – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM
    Security – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY
    Software – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
    System – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
    Default – HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT
    Userdiff
    The following files are stored in each user's profile folder:

%UserProfile%\Ntuser.dat – HKEY_USERS\<User SID> (HKEY_CURRENT_USER)
    %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Usrclass.dat (path is localized) – HKEY_USERS\<User SID>_Classes (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes)

[edit] Windows 95, 98, and Me
    The registry files are named User.dat and System.dat and are stored in the C:\WINDOWS directory. In Windows ME Classes.dat was added.

[edit] Windows 3.11
    The registry file is called Reg.dat and is stored in the C:\WINDOWS directory.

wwpranma wrote:
    - File such as Autoexec.bat , config.sys , etc. (although I'm pretty sure that page you just listed has a good list of the startup locations for those files)

If you're talking MS-DOS, these files can be located at the root of the OS partition being booted from, typically c:\
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    jasonboche wrote:

From Wikipedia (easier to copy/paste from somewhere).

Just provide proper credit - even the actual link so readers can get straight at the source.

Thanks!
    Plantwiz
    _____

• jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    I did provide credit - I said it was a copy/paste from from Wikipedia. If I missed something, please let me know.

Here's the direct URL:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_registry

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    jasonboche wrote:
    I did provide credit - I said it was a copy/paste from from Wikipedia. If I missed something, please let me know.

Here's the direct URL:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_registry

Jas

Direct link appreciated :)

(yes, I caught you typed where it was....there are people who like (and appreciate) the 'EXACT' location....plus it's a good habit).

Thank you.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    A'ight man, that's great, thanks for the heads up. Only reason I asked is because I noticed that that was a game killer for some people on the test and I just wanted to insure I had a decent idea of where they were.