Should I give incorrect answers to get the question right?

E. RobertsE. Roberts Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm preparing for the 70-293 exam using the books suggested in another post. I’ve found some of the test questions I have to give what I know is an incorrect answer to get the question correct. I look at the reasoning for the answer, look at the KB article on Microsoft’s web site and find there’s an updated article negating the justification for the answer.

On the actual exam are do you give the correct answer according to Microsoft’s KB articles to get the question correct on the exam? Or do you give the wrong answer ignoring the KB article to get the question correct on the exam?

Thanks

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do what you believe to be the correct answer.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    I run into this on rare occassions. My best advice would be to re-read the question. If you're seeing all incorrect multiple choice answers, that's a good indication you didn't interpret the question right.

Some questions can be somewhat subjective. If you're asking should I do what Microsoft preaches, or I should I give the real world answer, better do what Microsoft preaches if you want to pass the exam. You should clearly understand what Microsoft prefers you to do based on the exam study material.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you are using a book, please site the question and answer and page number. Then show us what KB article seems to negate the book's answer.

As Darby and jason suggested, sometimes what at first appears to be a contradiction is actually a matter of reading the question more carefully. However, mistakes can and do occur, so if you will post an example we'll be glad to help.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • E. RobertsE. Roberts Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I have now run into several questions on the sample exam, but let me illustrate with one example.

The questions asks what extra measures can be taken to secure a machine. All the answers refer to Windows System Key Protection. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310105
    The correct answer is to store the Syskey key on a floppy disk.

But if you look at Microsoft’s KB articles from several months ago you will find Microsoft admits to a flaw with the Syskey encryption algorithm and doesn’t recommend its use now making what was the correct answer the least correct answer.

On the actual exam, how would you handle this? If you follow what’s in the KB article you might get the question wrong, (but it would be the correct thing to do.)

So maybe you do what’s listed on Microsoft’s Help and Support web site and select what you know is the wrong answer to get the question right.

I see that Microsoft updated the exam a few months ago. How do you know if they updated the answer to accept the correct answer to be the right answer on the exam? Or if they didn’t?

Either way it seems unfair to the test taker.
    You're getting too involved with KB articles that more or less supersede test answers although I totally applaud the level of digging you are doing to find the truth and extend your knowledge.

The answer they are looking for is Syskey with the optional floppy disk for bootup. You need to pretend you don't know about some of the latest developments from Microsoft's KB articles which can sometimes contradict or confuse exam answers.

You have to remember some of the questions in the exam pool are from the year 2003 and don't much reflect what things have changed since then.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    jasonboche thanks for your reply. Here’s my problem. Exam 70-293 wsa just reviewed and updated a few months ago.

How do you know if they updated the answer to the question? Are they looking for the 2003 answer? Or the 2007 answer?

Doug
    Based on my experience, I would bet they are not grading the exam based on the updated KB article you are looking at. That's getting too hairy. If they were going to make the exam acknowledge the existence of a new KB article, I would think that they would fix the questions and answers such that there is only 1 obviously correct answer.

Consider the source of your sample test question you are looking at right now. Have they updated their test question to acknowldge the updated KB article? You may be beating your brains over an oudated test question.

Given a choice of trusting your exam study book or KB articles, you really need to go with your exam study book. It is tailored for the exam you are studying for. KB articles are much more dynamic and change on a monthly basis or sometimes even more frequent. This is because their primary purpose is for real world support as opposed to exam room documentation. I cannot recall any test question ever which was worded precisely to fit a KB article, but contradict a certification study book source.

I can't tell you my exact experience with 293 because I haven't sat that exam. I did 296 which was a combo of 293 and 294.

Jas
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You're not giving the "right" answer in some cases. You want to give the answer that Microsoft recommends, which may not always be the most practical for a real-world scenario. It is, however, the one they want. Just remember: there's the right way, the wrong way, and One Microsoft Way.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    E. Roberts wrote:
    The questions asks what extra measures can be taken to secure a machine. All the answers refer to Windows System Key Protection. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310105
    The correct answer is to store the Syskey key on a floppy disk.

But if you look at Microsoft’s KB articles from several months ago you will find Microsoft admits to a flaw with the Syskey encryption algorithm and doesn’t recommend its use now making what was the correct answer the least correct answer.

The KB article you posted a link to (Last Review : October 30, 2006) agrees with the book:
    KB310105 wrote:
    Remove the SAM encryption key from the local hard disk by using the Store Startup Key on Floppy Disk option for optimum security. This provides the highest level of protection for the SAM database.

Did you post the wrong one, or am I missing something? Or am I supposed to search for the MS article about the flaw myself? icon_lol.gif
    I can almost bet that the updated exam was in it's final stage at the time that article was posted.
    Sorry for not providing the link to the flaw in Syskey
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248183

A cryptographic error in the Syskey tool makes offline password attacks easier than previously believed. Syskey reuses keystream when encrypting certain elements in the Security Accounts Manager (SAM) database, making the tool vulnerable to an attack using a known cryptanalytic method. This vulnerability could allow offline password attacks to be mounted against a Syskey-protected SAM database.

Passwords in the SAM database are stored in hashed form to prevent a user who gains access to the database from reading the passwords. However, offline password attacks are still possible if an attacker obtains a copy of the database and is willing to devote the time needed to perform an exhaustive search of all possible passwords. The Syskey tool is designed to prevent such attacks by strongly encrypting the SAM database using 128-bit cryptography. However, a flaw in the implementation results in multiple database entries being encrypted with the same keystream. This renders the encryption susceptible to a known attack.

The date on this is March 22, 2007 whit is after the updated exam. This means the flaw was known, but not the fix. This means on the exam you select what you know to be the wrong answer to get the question correct.

As I mentioned earlier this is just one example of several I have found.
    From what most of you are saying it sounds like Microsoft does not update answers on their exams. In order to get the question correct on the exam is to mark the wrong answer on the exam.
    E. Roberts wrote:
    From what most of you are saying it sounds like Microsoft does not update answers on their exams. In order to get the question correct on the exam is to mark the wrong answer on the exam.

Try not to think of it as "the wrong answer". Think of it as the answer that Microsoft deemed to be correct at the time the exam question was created, and thinking with your Microsoft hat on.

I understand your conflict but you'll need to make a choice as to whether or not you want to pass these exams or not. If you want to pass, follow our advice. Do not follow your heart. Hold off on that until you pass the exams and then apply your knowledge to real world situations. Then follow your studies and your heart. Then you'll be able to refer to current KB articles which will tell you what's right, what's wrong, what's current, and what's not.

Jas
    And by all means, use the feedback at the end of the exam to let Microsoft know "Hey, there were some conflicting questions on this exam based on current KB articles, and it's unfair to the exam candidate!". Be specific so MS knows which questions you are talking about. I've given feedback plenty of times on exams where I was not happy for one reason or another.
    The "flaw" you posted applies only to NT4:
    KB248183 wrote:
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
    • Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
    • Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
    • Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition

While the proper use of syskey in the original KB article you posted that agrees with the book:
    KB310105 wrote:
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
    • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    • Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional for Itanium-based systems
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional for Itanium-based systems
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Since we are talking about 70-293 I wouldn't worry about the flaw in the NT4 implementation affecting the answer.
    The sample test question does ask about NT 4.0. This is just one of several discrepancies I’ve come across.

My question was does Microsoft updates the exams to reflect changes they have made to their products. Sound like the answer is no. To get the question correct you have to select the wrong answer. This just makes the exams more difficult for working IT folks. But on the other hand, I guess it makes it easier for classroom only learners.

Just seems like a losse loose situation for everyone.
    E. Roberts wrote:
    The sample test question does ask about NT 4.0. This is just one of several discrepancies I’ve come across.

My question was does Microsoft updates the exams to reflect changes they have made to their products. Sound like the answer is no. To get the question correct you have to select the wrong answer. This just makes the exams more difficult for working IT folks. But on the other hand, I guess it makes it easier for classroom only learners.

Just seems like a losse loose situation for everyone.

Sorry to doubt you, but why is there a question on NT4 in a book about 70-293? What book are you quoting, and what page is the question on?