Options

Vlan test question

fillthyfillthy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are 4 ways network management can be simplified by using virtual lans (VLANS)

One correct answer is:

It is no longer necessary to install cables to move a user from one network to another

Maybe I'm blind...Can someone please explain this one to me? What does cables have to do with a Vlan? if a user moved wouldn't there be a cable there? what does having a vlan have to do with physical cables?

Thanks
Phil

Comments

• Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess they refer to this:
    With vlans you can have two different networks in the same switch, before vlans you needed two separate switches to have two separate networks and if you wanted to move a user from one network to the other, you had to go and move the cable from one switch to the other. With vlans, you just reassign the port to the new network and thats it.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hence the word "virtual". Which means LAN's can be as one, no matter where the users are located within the Internetwork. So lets say the CEO got demoted to janitor and the CEO needed access to the tiolet cleaning instructional application. INstead of recabling him to another switch or LAN where the Toilet cleaning application resides, an admin can remote into the switch and take him off the Executive VLAN and put him on the janitor VLAN by reassigning the port.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    fillthyfillthy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right gotcha..Thanks for explaining it that way.
    Phil
  • Options
    datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
    Netstudent wrote:
    Hence the word "virtual". Which means LAN's can be as one, no matter where the users are located within the Internetwork. So lets say the CEO got demoted to janitor and the CEO needed access to the tiolet cleaning instructional application. INstead of recabling him to another switch or LAN where the Toilet cleaning application resides, an admin can remote into the switch and take him off the Executive VLAN and put him on the janitor VLAN by reassigning the port.

I pray for the day that more CFOs, and CEOs are demoted to janitors, but then again they would still have power over the employees because the two most positions in the company you do not want to make enemies with are the IT team, and the janitors...(laughs) Oh, what evil havic they can sow.
    Arrakis