downloading Cisco IOS

lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
It says i have registered guest level access.

what do i need to do to download the IOS>

i already have a username and password?
NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb

Comments

• lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    how do i obtain this smartnet contract
  • jvaxjvax Member Posts: 117
    Darby, once you get Smartnet Support, do you get access to IOS for all platforms or only the one you registered with them?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin
    Man 400 -700 bucks. thats out of my budget lol.

is there a place where i can like FTP and get the download, cuase my 2501 routers have 11.0 IOS, and i looking to upgrade it to 12.2(29) or 12.3(13) Ip plus , but i dont want to pay 400 bucks for it.

i have 12.3(13) for my 2611, is there a way to trnasfer my image to my 2501 routers.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    if you were to buy a peice of equipment from cisco kits, they send you a handy disc with quite a few IOS's.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    is there anyway to get newer sofware for my 2501's

or even better yet. can i like copy my IOS from my 2611 to my computer, and transfer it to my 2501's
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, if it fits, it could work.

This is, as we mentioned several times in similar topics in these forums, why it's important to buy equipment that contains a current version. If you copy one from the other for educational purposes, fine that's up to you. I did that too in my home lab, but:

icon_exclaim.gif We do not tolerate illegal distribution of software in these forums (NOR BY PM), which includes Cisco IOS.
    would you tolerate asking your how you copy the IOS off the other routers to yours.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    copy tftp flash command

You can either configure another similiar router as a tftp server and allow it to serve the IOS file from its flash, or you can get one of the free tftp servers for a PC and then upload from one router (which is a good idea to have a backup copy of your IOS files) and download to the other.

IOS files are "version specific" -- C2500.... files for 2500 series routers. C2600... for 2600 routers, etc.

You also have to be aware of the IOS options -- more options mean larger file size -- so an 12.3 Enterprise Plus from a 2500 with 16 meg flash won't fit on a 2500 with only 4 or 8 megs of flash.

If you have the DRAM to run an image, but not the flash to store it -- you can also boot an image from a TFTP server, buts its a lot slower than booting from flash.

icon_arrow.gifIOS Versions and Feature Set Information
    icon_arrow.gifThe "Matt George" guide to Cisco IOS
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    lildeezul wrote:
    would you tolerate asking your how you copy the IOS off the other routers to yours.
    It's actually a typical CCNA topic, 'upgrading' your router/switch software. But asking for a new IOS is kinda like asking for Windows XP because you bought a computer with Windows 95 on it. icon_wink.gif
    ha, yeah i see your point.

well first priority, is to get my accessories such as, maxing out the ram on all 5 of my routers, getting 5 etherenet transcievers, and build my a rack
  • Bill KasterBill Kaster Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My thread was locked and I was referred here to my question of how to obtain Cisco IOS. Except this thread really doesn't tell you how. So, uh, what's the deal? Call Cisco and pay?
    Starting my CCNA journey!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Call Cisco and pay?
    Get a SmartNet contract from Cisco (or one of their partners)

From another IOS thread:
    mikej412 wrote:
    You'd be looking for a SmartNet Contract.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ordering/

If you choose the Purchase Through an Online Partner and select your geographic area, you can then do searches for "smartnet" and your product model number to get an idea of the confusing array of options available. If you sort by price, lowest first, then you're probably closer to contracts that give you the software upgrade capabilities. For some of the contract prices at the high end I'd expect a CCIE living in a trailer outside my house 24/7 with a semi-trailer full of spare parts. icon_eek.gif

Once you figure out all the confusing options and find the software upgrade smartnet contracts, you can google to see if you can find other online partners that could offer you a better deal on the price.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!