Advice for A+ Hardware

AlmightySenatorAlmightySenator Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I never really had any intention in getting any certifications, since it really isn't my field...I got a degree in computer science, and figured I'd go into programming, until I realized that I didn't like it. I've founda couple decent jobs at the moment, but found an ideal one that requires A+ certification, and I had worked a contract job (NOC) for a few months there. I figure that I may have some kind of inside track if I was interested. I stated in my cover letter/resume that I was no A+ certified, but am confident that I would be able to get it if need be in a short amount of time.

So this is where I'm at now. I went online and took a practice test (not sure which site), and got a 45/80, and was rather impressed with myself. I went through some things on this site (printers/IRQs), and was able to get 56-58/80. I don't remember, but I did pass. I figure that if I go through the rest of the study guide and reread all my notes, I'd be able to get a high 70's/80 on that practice test. Are there any other online tests I can take to make sure that I'll pass (I don't want to drop 150+ to fail it)

So in summary, are there any ways to get the test cheaper, and is there any bonus for getting a higher grade (like honors) or something?
THORG LIFE

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First, understand that just because a firm 'requires' an A+ that doesn't always mean you need it on day 1. You could negotiate to complete your exams within your first 90 days.

Second, start by downloading a copy of the objectives so you can focus your study efforts on your weaknesses vs. everything.

Third, you may find discounts on your exams by obtaining a voucher from the link on the left-hand side or http://www.getcertify4less.com/techexams.asp?REFID={18567D5A-E590-4C16-831F-A9A584E52DD4}

Lastly, Mike Meyers book is hands-down recommended. The newest Sybex book is very much geared toward the 2006 objectives and has always been a strong series to use to prepare for exams. I'd recommend both if you don't have any sources at this point. If you are only willing to invest in 1...Go with Meyers books.

BTW - please don't think of the exams as merely tossing money away. Some exams will benefit your resume more then others...so pick and choose the best ones for you. Certifications are very similar to college...you sometimes are required to take (and pay for) classes that are a complete waste. Have you ever purchased texts for a course only to find that you never needed them? It's part of the process.

Also, sorry to hear you were not satisfied with programming. Many people (including myself) complete college degrees to find ourselves in completely different fields of work. It may come full-circle for you. It may not. It does give you perspective :)

Best wishes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • AlmightySenatorAlmightySenator Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I never really thought of it that way. I'm hoping that they give a period to obtain certification, since the company is great to work for. I figured that they probably screened the resumes and disqualified anyone without certification, but it's great to hear that it isn't always set in stone. I am tempted to go out and buy a book, but I'm not sure if I'll need it, and more importantly, not sure if I'll read it.

Going for a certification is only a waste of money when you fail the test. I don't ming shelling out some cash monies if it'll help me make more, or at least give me an upper hand in my job search. I'm just afraid I'll take the test and fail.

I don't even know if I wasn't satisfied with programming, it was just that at the time I was in school I didn't have/want to put the time into learning the langauges. All the classwork was dedicated to concepts and whatnot, and that I know well, but I didn't put any real effort into the actual programming part. Maybe I'll get into it, but until then, I need a job in, or at least near, the field.
    THORG LIFE
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I am tempted to go out and buy a book, but I'm not sure if I'll need it, and more importantly, not sure if I'll read it.

Then check out www.alibris.com and look at slightly used or overstock books. Generally less expensive then the Brick and Mortar stores and many times the book is actually new.

Going for a certification is only a waste of money when you fail the test. I don't ming shelling out some cash monies if it'll help me make more, or at least give me an upper hand in my job search. I'm just afraid I'll take the test and fail.

Sorry to hear this.
    If everyone only took exams they knew they'd pass...what does the exam really show? Failing a certification exam is part of the process. It's not like you'll be fired if you fail...you now have a benchmark of where you are truly at in the process and can build from there. I can through a ton of cliches at you but to what end? And while on forums like this all the majority of the poster shout out their "PASS w/ 898" comments...there are only a few brave soles who tell the truth that they tried and missed, but will prepare again.

No one likes to fail, but try to find the benefits of it. Sure the exam costs money, but failing an exam is better then never taking it at all.

I don't even know if I wasn't satisfied with programming, it was just that at the time I was in school I didn't have/want to put the time into learning the langauges. All the classwork was dedicated to concepts and whatnot, and that I know well, but I didn't put any real effort into the actual programming part. Maybe I'll get into it, but until then, I need a job in, or at least near, the field.

I will encourage you then to write down your goals and declare them to your family or closest friends so that you don't just 'settle' for a job that seems really great today. I'm assuming you are probably single and don't have responsibility for any children?? If true, then you are at the best point of your career to take risks and chances because the only person depending on you is YOU. Once you have a family, (unless a selfish B-stard ;) ) you'll want to consider the consequences to them before a 'big' move. And with the concerns you have over failing an exam...I'll venture a guess that if this job works out...you may not be so willing to look for the better job down the road.

Point being: Don't lock yourself into something that prevents you from really following your career dreams.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    Listen to this dude Rufus, he knows what he's talking about.
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.