Logging into a domain from XP in vmware

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
I made a few user accounts in Server 2003 in VMWARE Workstation. I also have an XP machine in VMWARE that I tried logging in from. The weird thing is, I cannot log into the domain (contoso) using the User Logon Name; however, I can using the name I gave it for "user logon name (Pre-Windows 2000). Is this something funky with vmware in that server 2003 in vmware thinks xp in vmware is a pre windows 2000 OS?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    I have VMware and I have no such issues as described.

What kind of error messages are you getting?
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    It is not a VMWare problem I have it working fine.

How are you logging into domain?

Username box
    Password box
    Domain box

or

Domain\Username
    Password

Are you stipulating the domain in the first instance? (IE in a 'domain' or 'log onto' box)

Are you using contoso.com or just contoso?

How is your server setup? DNS etc?

And what operational level do you have AD set to?

(Im going to assume your using the MS Press books due tot he fact your using 'contoso' as domain?)
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    Well My domain is CONTOSO and not contoso.com apparently. It wouldnt let me name it contoso.com; I had to use contoso. Why is that? I am working the exercises in the MS Press book.

And to answer Sie I am using:

Username box
    Password box
    Domain box

EDIT: I could name it contoso.com. However, I wasn't able to join the domain from XP unless I typed in Contoso and not contoso.com. Why's that?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mog27 wrote:
    EDIT: I could name it contoso.com. However, I wasn't able to join the domain from XP unless I typed in Contoso and not contoso.com. Why's that?

DNS, DNS or DNS. Pick one. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    mog27 wrote:

DNS, DNS or DNS. Pick one. :)

I choose D icon_eek.gif

In all seriousness, Mark is 100% correct. I've seen this issue many times and it is ALWAYS DNS. Make sure this is fixed. Don't shrug it off with the mindset of, "It still works without the TLD, so let's just move on."
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    What should I check for in the DNS? (I'm new to win2003 and 70-290)

Make sure there's an A record in the forward lookup zone that points to (Same as Parent) that has an ip address of a Domain Controller. This will make secondlevel.tld pingable which should allow you to use dns when joining a domain because using secondlevel.tld will communicate with a Domain Controller. If you don't understand what I'm saying, let me know. I will write it out more for a person who is newer to Windows Servers and include some pictures.
    royal wrote:
    Make sure there's an A record in the forward lookup zone that points to (Same as Parent) that has an ip address of a Domain Controller. This will make secondlevel.tld pingable which should allow you to use dns when joining a domain because using secondlevel.tld will communicate with a Domain Controller.

I checked and there is already.

Make sure the clients are using your Domain Controllers for the DNS IP addresses on the client dns ip addresses. Also, perhaps the SRV records are a bit messed up. Try going onto your Domain Controllers and restarting the netlogon service or doing a netdiag /fix (which will restart netlogon in addition to other things). You can also try doing a netdiag and a dcdiag to check for errors which include dns errors.