BSCI--Chapter 1

Paul#4Paul#4 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is my first post and wanted to say hi to everyone. :)

I'm taking the CCNA ICND test next week, but I'm looking ahead at the BSCI exam.

Should I worry about Chapter 1?
Gimme gimme gimme

Comments

• tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Paul#4 wrote:
    This is my first post and wanted to say hi to everyone. :)

I'm taking the CCNA ICND test next week, but I'm looking ahead at the BSCI exam.

Should I worry about Chapter 1?

Paul#4,

Help us to help you. Chapter 1 of which book? If it's for ICND, then that's a definite yes at this time.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey name buddy, I'd worry more about the INTRO/ICND right now than the BSCI. At this point, without a CCNA, anything you come across on the BSCI will probably be a bit much.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Paul#4Paul#4 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not too worried about ICND...I'm taking it next week and should pass, I had a previous CCNA but it expired...I already passed Intro with great score...

If you overlap some of the BSCI studies with ICND you can excel quicker, which is what I'm doing right now...preparing for the last leg of the ICND while gaining more depth with the BSCI

Example...while you're studying routing protocols with ICND, dig deeper and study OSPF and EIGRP in the BSCI curriculum...
    I also did some of the same with VLANS and STP...

the ICND should be fairly easy for me by next week...

Oh, and I passed the BSCN test 4 years ago with 900+...forgot to mention that...

Thanks
    Gimme gimme gimme
    Right, I didn't know you had a CCNA that expired, that changes the scope of your question a bit. You shouldn't have any trouble with the BSCI material if you refresh your CCNA stuff.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    I kind of wanted to know the importance of Chapter 1? Seems like Cisco fluff.
    I am familiar with core, access, distribution(from past experience) but there are new terms such as IIN...I hate having to memorize information such as Chapter 1.
    Gimme gimme gimme
  • NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IIN and SONA are very fun, you'll learn how to love those
    i gave up on BSCI and decided to move to BCMSN after 4th chapter.
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Paul#4 wrote:
    If you overlap some of the BSCI studies with ICND you can excel quicker, which is what I'm doing right now...preparing for the last leg of the ICND while gaining more depth with the BSCI

Example...while you're studying routing protocols with ICND, dig deeper and study OSPF and EIGRP in the BSCI curriculum...
    Thats what i'm diong. i'm hoping to take the CCNA exam in a few months (starting the ICND start of things now) and have been reading a CCNP book for more info on EIGRP and OSPF.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Yeah, CCNA books are light on routing protocols...thats where the fun is at!

Whoopty doo!
    Gimme gimme gimme
    Paul#4 wrote:
    I kind of wanted to know the importance of Chapter 1? Seems like Cisco fluff.
    I am familiar with core, access, distribution(from past experience) but there are new terms such as IIN...I hate having to memorize information such as Chapter 1.

It may be fluff, but keep in mind that Cisco certifications are about doing things "the cisco way" so while it may be fluff to you, it's the methodology that that fluff represents that represents the entire goal of the Cisco career path. I don't think any of that stuff is on the exam but getting yourself in the tune of thinking along the guidelines in chapter 1 (I'm assuming you're talking about the Cisco Press BSCI Self Study) is a good thing.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    Well spoken Paul...I commend your altruistic stand...thats how I feel...
    Gimme gimme gimme
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Paul#4 wrote:
    Not too worried about ICND...I'm taking it next week and should pass, I had a previous CCNA but it expired...I already passed Intro with great score...

I also did some of the same with VLANS and STP...

the ICND should be fairly easy for me by next week...

Oh, and I passed the BSCN test 4 years ago with 900+...forgot to mention that...

Thanks

Paul#4,

So am I correct in understanding that you are talking about Chapter 1 of BSCI? If so, which BSCI book?

On a sidenote, I know how you feel. After I took and passed the 640-607 CCNA exam, I embarked on the CCNP track. So I thought the first logical exam for the CCNP was the 640-603 Routing exam. Well, since I took too long studying, the 640-603 Routing exam changed to 640-900 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks exam, then the 640-901 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks exam, then the 642-801 BSCI exam. Even though I never became confident enough to take and pass Routing/Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks/BSCI, on the bright side I beat my head against the wall enough times to learn a little about OSPF and EIGRP to help me with the 640-801 CCNA exam that now contains OSPF and EIGRP material.

Yes, I too referenced my CCNP Routing/BSCI books to help me understand OSPF and EIGRP for the 640-801 CCNA exam so I understand your "overlapping" study style.

A belated congrats on passing the BSCN exam. Good luck next week on the 640-811 ICND exam.
    I'm not sure why someone would attempt to learn the knowledge required to obtain a CCNP before cracking a CCNA book to at least get the basics. You need a CCNA just to become a valid CCNP candidate.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Paul Boz wrote:
    I'm not sure why someone would attempt to learn the knowledge required to obtain a CCNP before cracking a CCNA book to at least get the basics.
    I agree with that - it makes no sense what so ever for someone who hasn't gone through a few CCNA books to learn the basics.
    You need a CCNA just to become a valid CCNP candidate.
    How ever, i don't see whats wrong with a someone studying for CCNA (IE, myself) going through a CCNP book to gain greater knowledge of topics that aren't really covered well. My CCNA book had something like 17 pages on EIGRP, with 2 labs, didn't seem like much to me. Can this hurt? Does the CCNP version of EIGRP and OSPF contradict the CCNA EIGRP and OSPF? lol.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • CiscopimpenatorCiscopimpenator Inactive Imported Users Posts: 134
    I passed the BSCN almost 5 years ago...

The CCNP exams expire after 3 years, correct?

I checked the certification tracking system and it shows I have a checkmark for the CCNP track.
    Maybe they will let me count the exam still. At this point I don't really need them to count this exam because I plan on taking the entire CCNP track to gain the current knowledge anyways.

I want to take the material again because I need to refresh. I also want to prepare for the current CCIE next year and the new CCNP track(ICSW and ONT) maps well to the current CCIE.

Thanks for the help. :)
    -Ciscopimpenator
    I passed the BSCN almost 5 years ago too. I don't think it counts anymore.
    Gimme gimme gimme
    Hey just wanted to let everyone know I passed CCNA today and started reading chapter 2 in BSCI.

I should finish Chapter 2 today and hopefully start Chapter 3.

I took a look at BCMSN, that exams will give me more problems because I have less switching experience.

Good luck :)
    Gimme gimme gimme
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    i don't see whats wrong with a someone studying for CCNA (IE, myself) going through a CCNP book to gain greater knowledge of topics that aren't really covered well. My CCNA book had something like 17 pages on EIGRP, with 2 labs, didn't seem like much to me. Can this hurt? Does the CCNP version of EIGRP and OSPF contradict the CCNA EIGRP and OSPF? lol.

I never said it was a bad thing. I own several CCIE prep books and read them prior to sitting the CCNA. Expanding your knowledge is fine, I was only stating that I don't understand why one would pursue a CCNP level of knowledge before understanding the basics presented by the CCNA.
    Paul#4 wrote:
    Hey just wanted to let everyone know I passed CCNA today and started reading chapter 2 in BSCI.

Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    pbosworth@gmail.com