1st Full-Time Job!

blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
Yes, I have finally met my biggest goal yet. I accepted an offer to work as a "building tech" for Glenbard South High School in Glen Ellyn, IL. My basic job is just as a desktop tech. The trouble tickets come in, and I respond appropriately. I'll be working with one other guy who has been alone for a while, and according to the guy who hired me, is "hanging on by a thread, even though he won't admit it." icon_lol.gif The school employs mostly Macs, so I have some learning to do. But, it should be fun.
"Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
- Homer Simpson

Comments

• mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Congrats on the 1st job! icon_thumright.gif

Be glad it's almost the weekend...now you can celebrate! drunken_smilie.gif
    Working on Linux+
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    Way to go! That's awesome!

Schools like MACs. Don't let them convert you though. You are diehard PC. Do we have an understanding? icon_twisted.gif
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    jasonboche wrote:

Schools like MACs. Don't let them convert you though. You are diehard PC. Do we have an understanding? icon_twisted.gif
    They make a good case, though. The guys told me that their Macs require little maintainence compared to their PCs (although they get some kind of cheapo brand called "MPC", and hand-me-down Gateways from my college). I've also heard that from other people as well. Macs are also supposed to have rock-solid, Unix-based OSs as well. Macintosh makes it more difficult every year to stay PC-centric...
    - Homer Simpson
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jasonboche wrote:

They make a good case, though. The guys told me that their Macs require little maintainence compared to their PCs (although they get some kind of cheapo brand called "MPC", and hand-me-down Gateways from my college). I've also heard that from other people as well. Macs are also supposed to have rock-solid, Unix-based OSs as well. Macintosh makes it more difficult every year to stay PC-centric...

congrats on your Job!!! icon_cool.gif

a good rule of thumb with Mac hardware is that its expensive as HELL!!!

case in point: "superdrive"

I prefer PC, but I have no issues with Mac's. You cant be so biased in that aspect. You'll most likely be working on one or other down the line.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gratz! Hope you enjoy every minute of your new job and get everything you possibly can from the opportunity!
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats. watch out for those macs though! ;)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Let us know how the job works out for you. You won't be working too far away from where I'll be moving to. My company is relocating me to one of the Chicago offices so I just found a new apartment last weekend in Naperville. Will be moving next month.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Thanks everyone!

It looks like I'll be starting on Tuesday, May 29th. I went to the district office on Friday to take care of all the HR stuff. icon_rolleyes.gif I can't believe I'm only 22, and I'm worrying about what option to use to prepare for retirement. icon_lol.gif

I'm a little nervous about working on the Macs, though. Maybe I'll pick up a Mac For Dummies book or something. Anyone know of good a good book, online resource, or certificate for Macs?
    - Homer Simpson
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Congrats!

My first job was also working @ a school district that was Mac oriented. Even though I allready had my Cisco and Microsoft Certs they wanted me to learn the MAC so they had me take care of a MAC only school. I didnt have to go out and get any books pretty much straight foward OS. THey wanted me to go out and get a Apple certification but after being there a year I was moved to a district networking role working with router / switches.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't believe I'm only 22, and I'm worrying about what option to use to prepare for retirement. icon_lol.gif

It's really good to start thinking about retirement at an early age. The earlier you start, the earlier you start compounding interest and the more money you'll get when you retire because of that exponential growth thanks to that compounding.

There are some sites and magazines I read to stay knowledgeable regarding finances to make sure I'm set for retirement. I've listed some below which might help you out.
    http://www.bankrate.com
    http://www.kiplinger.com
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/home.asp
    http://money.cnn.com/

In addition to the sites, I subscribe to Money Magazine and Kiplinger Magazine; both of which I find to be very well written.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    So, I finally started the new job yesterday (Tuesday). I must say, it was the best first day ever! I'm working with only one other person, who is very cool and laid-back. During the summer, I won't have much of a work-load at all, so I have plenty of time to figure out the more complex aspects of the job and learn who certain faculty are. I might be able to get my hands on a spare ThinkPad they have lying around. I'm also receiving a brand new, shiny Nextel Blackberry. :D

Thanks for all your support guys. If anyone is looking for a job in the Chicago area, let me know. I might be able to warn you about some companies that you may be applying for. icon_cool.gif
    - Homer Simpson
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    nel wrote:
    congrats. watch out for those high school girls though! ;)

fixed... :-p
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685