Options

2924 vs 2950

LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone know the difference b/w the two. I want to get a switch to use for studying etc but I do not have $$$$$... I found a cheap 2924 but I dont want to spend money on something I cant really use for learning for my CCNA. I tried to locate something about the switch but I was unsuccessfull... Help...

Comments

• Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    A 2924/2912 will be more than fine to use for studying for your CCNA. Eventually when you have some more money you'll want to try and grab a 2950, but for now you're fine.

PS. With good hunting you shouldn't look to pay more than $50 on a 2924 or 12.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No range command, but you can survive the CCNA without it. :D

The bigger difference will show up in the CCNP when you hit QoS and Multicast -- but thats where you hit differences between all the families of switches.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    No range command, but you can survive the CCNA without it. :D

The bigger difference will show up in the CCNP when you hit QoS and Multicast -- but thats where you hit differences between all the families of switches.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa Gotcha... Ok cool then. I will just go ahead and go with 2-2924s... Once I get the CCNA I will switch over to the 50s. Thanks!
  • Options
    kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    I'm doing CCNA and i got a 2924, 2950 and thinking about another 2924. If you can get a deal on the 2950 then go for it. just have to be on Ebay and constantly searching.
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought the 50 designation denoted layer 3 capability and a more complex processor, like the 3550, am I wrong on this?
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    borumas wrote:
    I thought the 50 designation denoted layer 3 capability and a more complex processor, like the 3550, am I wrong on this?

Your off on this, yes. The 2950 is a layer 2 switch that does not have routing capabilities.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    LOkrasa wrote:
    I will switch over to the 50s.

Are you starting a career in networking comedy? :) *boom ting*
  • Options
    lol I didnt even notice that... lol