My eyes are torn up from all this testing software.

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
How do you guys cope with stareing at testing software all day, Like transcenders..

Anyone have an LCD? Does that help on the eyes? I heard refresh rate is not on par with a CRT screen so i would think it would be worse for the eyes.

What about you guys who throw the stuff on your laptop?
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I have a real -and by real, I mean not fake icon_lol.gif - 2 meter long (now that's massive) green plant righ behind by monitor. This helps me get all the green healthy colors in my eyes while I focus. This also enables me to focus on green (refreshing and helping color to the eyes) everytime I lift up my head and -instead of staring at another 'white' wall- think while staring at the green plant.

And I always keep my 45-min break study method no matter how intense the studying is.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    45 mins on? or 45 total minute break?
  • SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    I've been studying way too much lately..
    I've come down with a severe case of eye strain.
    Unfortunately, I'm always at school configuring some OS server router switch etc, and the monitors aren't that fantastic.
    8 hours a day 5 days a week nonblinking, only to come home and do it again for another 5 before I go to bed.. Thats what you get when you take fast track courses.
    I finally broke down and went to an optometrist and payed $50 for an exam, and she gave me a weak prescription.. yadda yadda.
    The moral of the story:
    Use workplace eyedrops from Visine.
    Try to take an eye break every 45 minutes. She told me that when I was staring at my computer screen for hours, then expecting them to function normally at distances immediately thereafter was harmful to my eyes.
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I know what you mean. Like most writers I spend most of my time reading of a screen. I used to have this big CRT screen and would give me headaches if I would read from it one or more hours in a row. I recently bought an LCD screen (simple 15" Samsung SyncMaster 152s about $400) and it is absolutely an amazing improvement. The primary reason I bought it were the sun rays reflecting on the screen when I sat down early in the morning or late afternoon were driving me nuts. When somebody came from behind a corner he would have fragged me before I would even...., I mean I couldn't read entire sentences on my screen :D.

I used to prefer reading from my laptop for the same reason, the reflecting of light on my CRT being too much. I haven't had a headache since I bought the LCD monitor... at least not from reading of it ;) I don't know much about the details behind the technology (probably why I hired someone else to write the A+ Core Display TechNotes) and you are right about the refresh rate being less (72 in my case, res. 1024x76icon_cool.gif but the screen is definitely more stable and 'quiet' to the eyes, which is easy to proof by taking a picture of the screen with a photo camera and high shutter time. You can see the CRT being refreshed.
    45 minute overindulgence and then you just turn off the monitor to reduce temptation. icon_lol.gif Then stand up, kick a wall, walk around the room, drink a cup of coffee (now make sure u don't pour coffe and drink it while studying and think u'd taken the break icon_lol.gif ), etc... etc... anothing other than sleeping icon_confused.gif but make sure it's not more than 10 minutes.

This is what I do: after 45 minutes, I get off my seat and sit on the sofa right in front of my giant plant and listen to humors chapplle shows. I laught my head off for a while but always keep and eye on my huge clock. I then get back and study and repeat the process only changing the type of recreation every time. icon_wink.gif
    I just bought a brand new 19" Samsung syncmaster 955df. It's beautiful, totally flat, crisp clear picture.
    It took a few weeks for it to "Self-tune" and focus up, but now it's great.
    My old monitor was horribly out of tune, and I couldn't fix it ~ the tube was warped. That's probably what screwed me up
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
    I currently have a samsung syncmaster 763MB. It is a 17 in CRT flatscreen It recieved decent ratings so i bought it about 6 months ago. It is not too bad, but still kills the eyes. Considering I am getting outta the AF in a few months, i dont wanna fork the cash for an LCD yet.

I think LCD pixels are refreshed differently than CRT A CRT shoots from the back of the tube, while LCD's use different color filters to create the colors. (if I remember correctly).. Plasma, uses Gases.

Guess I just need to keep up with the BReak quota.
    Then there are two options that may be helpful:
    - Put glasses on the monitor. Kind of a filter/uv-filter that you attach to the monitor and covers the entire screen. Looks terrible.
    - Put glasses on yourself. "Monitor glasses" or should I say spectacles... they really help very well and I think they're not to expensive anymore.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remember pandimus - a LCD does not have a refresh rate like a CRT does. They do have 'refresh rates', but that is mostly so they work with assorted software that demands certain rates to function, however this does not cause the problems that CRT refresh does.
    You will find a TFT is exceptional for many things, but the one major fault is that many graphic artists believe that they are slightly 'blocky' when doing very fine work - personally I have not noticed this in better quality screens.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    I have to wear prescription classes.
    Not a heavy one, but light, it is for seeing distances, but it does help a bit.

Also I saw something on the teli the other day about lighting up behind your monitor help reduce strain on eyes. My monitor has a brightness button. For Text, internet, and entertainment. I keep it on text and then put a light on behind the monitor, helps a little. I think i will start opening the blinds too.
    Thats right.. (about LCD's)..
    NOw i remember.. The refresh rate is used for stuff like 3d games were they need to keep refreshing the screen or you will get fragged cause you dont see the bugger come at ya.
    I wish I bought an LCD icon_sad.gif This big boy is pretty good though.
    The glasses definately help after a long day of computing.
    This monitor has a nice "Highlight" mode that I can use if I'm having trouble seeing it. Although sometimes it feels like its too bright and sears my eyeballs.
    but the one major fault is that many graphic artists believe that they are slightly 'blocky' when doing very fine work
    I do have that problem on my 15", it puts some real limitations on 3d Studio MAX and Photoshop. Even pcitures in PDF are hard to get right, because they look differently on CRTs. But I don't think it isn't an issue on most newer and larger screens anymore. It goes for small sized text as well (can be solved partly by enabling ClearType in Winsows XP). This is one of the main reasons you should check the dot pitch or pixel pitch which is usually a bit higher on TFTs, hence less fine.
    I've heard a friend (with an unfortunately wild imagination) say that the CIA is currently developing a technology wherein they inplant a small chip (more like a normal neuron) that taps into your visual stimuli stream. Just like how you can imagine pictures or see after-effects, they'll have a computer look at a field (say a building full of killers) and instantly transmit to the chip the exact locations of all the men in all -say- 5 floors. You'd then be able to know where every body is and actually see him with your visual imagination. Much like the stuff in Ludlum's Bourne series.

Now he was using this explanation to explain the need for such a system to be implemented in the workplaces of people who aggresively use computers and might, as a result, lose their eyesight. Believe me, in 20 years, humans will all be walking computers of some sort.
    pandimus wrote:
    Thats right.. (about LCD's)..
    NOw i remember.. The refresh rate is used for stuff like 3d games were they need to keep refreshing the screen or you will get fragged cause you dont see the bugger come at ya.
    I think that is because the color would fade away in less than no time if it wouldn't be refreshed (on an CRT) ;)

Would be nice though if the fps would match the refresh frequency :o