Options

Starting A+

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
So as of tommorow i'll be enrolled in the first of two A+ classes in my major... i have the Thomson Course Technology A+ Guide to Hardware..... From what i understand, you have to take 2 exams to get the A+? grrr...

Anyway, just flipping through the book and browsing here, it looks to be simple... i'd like to knock it out this summer so i'm wondering a few things:

How much does it cost? (i'm on my way out the door to work, otherwise i'd look it up)
\for the 2nd exam, the operating system or software or whatever side, how indepth is that? like i said, i'd like to knock out the A+ this summer. i think its doable.
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Darthn3ss wrote:

How much does it cost? (i'm on my way out the door to work, otherwise i'd look it up)
    \for the 2nd exam, the operating system or software or whatever side, how indepth is that? like i said, i'd like to knock out the A+ this summer. i think its doable.

icon_rolleyes.gif

The cost will depend on your country so you may find this information out 100% by looking on either the VUE or Prometric websites.

For the 2nd exam???

Are you referring to Core & OS from the 2003 objectives? Or Essentials plus one of the electives from the 2006 objectives?

The 2003 Objectives were retired Dec 31, 2006 but the date was extended until June 30, 2007 for most countries. If you take both exams by this date then yes you can be A+ certified if you complete BOTH exams by June 30. If not, you'll be taking the 2006 objectives.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I will be following the 2006 objectives. I was for some reason under the impression that the A+ was 2 required exams. i guess i'm wrong huh?

okay so heres another thing... whats up with the A+ Essentials and then 220-602.. thats $300.. wow.

do employers prefer you go for the IT technician vs the 1 exam Remote Support Tech or Depot tech (220-603,604)? I'm in college. $158 an exam is too rich for my blood :-p

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    I will be following the 2006 objectives. I was for some reason under the impression that the A+ was 2 required exams. i guess i'm wrong huh?
    No, A+ requires 2 exams. Essentials plus 1 elective OR Core plus OS (2003 before June 30)

okay so heres another thing... whats up with the A+ Essentials and then 220-602.. thats $300.. wow.

icon_rolleyes.gif

You are adding to your employment possibilities....so $300 is very reasonable. Other professions invest thousands of dollars more then this to be 'qualified' for an entry-level position. The glory (or money) comes after years of proving oneself and persistence.

do employers prefer you go for the IT technician vs the 1 exam Remote Support Tech or Depot tech (220-603,604)?
    Depends on the position. 2006 Objectives were just released at the end of 2006 and are more or less designed to highlight the specific job function. If you don't know what you'll be doing...go with 602. If you will be working helpdesk doing remote support...consider the 603. If you'll only be working on walk-up bench systems (retail store) go with 604.

I'm in college. $158 an exam is too rich for my blood :-p
    Meaning what? You don't work? And why do you have to take the exam now if you cannot afford it? Save up the money and take it when you can afford the exams. Besides, if you are in college...what degree are you preparing for? Why are you looking for certs over a diploma?

Besides you can follow the link to the left for a voucher to shave a little off the cost if that means anything to your pocketbook.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    furbyfurby Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it costs 300 dollars in the us then thats pretty cheap.

It costs 515,76 dollars here in the netherlands 408 euros for both exams.
  • Options
    WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    $ 286 = € 212 (2 exams with VUE testing centers only)

http://www.gracetechsolutions.com/certification/voucher/bundle_a_voucher.asp
    Yes we can, yes we can...
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    No, A+ requires 2 exams. Essentials plus 1 elective OR Core plus OS (2003 before June 30)

icon_rolleyes.gif

You are adding to your employment possibilities....so $300 is very reasonable. Other professions invest thousands of dollars more then this to be 'qualified' for an entry-level position. The glory (or money) comes after years of proving oneself and persistence.

do employers prefer you go for the IT technician vs the 1 exam Remote Support Tech or Depot tech (220-603,604)?
    Depends on the position. 2006 Objectives were just released at the end of 2006 and are more or less designed to highlight the specific job function. If you don't know what you'll be doing...go with 602. If you will be working helpdesk doing remote support...consider the 603. If you'll only be working on walk-up bench systems (retail store) go with 604.

I'm in college. $158 an exam is too rich for my blood :-p
    Meaning what? You don't work? And why do you have to take the exam now if you cannot afford it? Save up the money and take it when you can afford the exams. Besides, if you are in college...what degree are you preparing for? Why are you looking for certs over a diploma?

Besides you can follow the link to the left for a voucher to shave a little off the cost if that means anything to your pocketbook.
    few things:
    - Yeah i guess i realize the A+ would be worth the money..
    - I'll just go with the IT Technician..
    - I was half joking on the price.. i do work but i have a car loan and car insurance to pay off and after that i still need gas and food is nice to have on a semi regular basis as well.. :-p I'm currently going for an Associates in Telecommunications Systems Management at a technical/junior/2 year college... Which basically prepares me for the certs... So i'm really not putting certs over the diploma... I'm trying to get some of the basic certs out of the way (all while complaining about the price... lol me) before i finish my degree (4 semesters left at most - depends on a few things) so when i can get out i'm hoping to be able to find work easier...