Redistribution woes..

dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone have any advice on configuring redistribution for the lab? I am looking for any tips for completing redistribution tasks in a timely fashion instead of the typical 30-45 minutes I currently take to complete it. I usually find myself drawing multiple diagrams (3-5) and mapping out all the external prefixes etc. to complete the redistribution tasks. For 3 points it hardly seems worth the time but it’s one of those tasks you need to complete for the remainder of the lab to function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
The only easy day was yesterday!

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your best bet is to practice the redistribution examples on CCO several times. Have you tried those?

There are many on www.cisco.com
    The archives are definately a good place to look. There are hundreds of examples there. Doyle Vol 1 covers Redistribution pretty well. Route tags are useful.

As for Bruce, you can probably pick up a used copy of the second edition of Bridges Routers and Switches for CCIE's for a steal on amazon these days. It's still worth buying. I may get another copy as mine has fallen to bits over the years!
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you for the replies.

I have read Caslow and Doyle, done many of the examples on CCO. My problem isn't the concept of redistribution, but the time it takes for me to complete the task. I didn’t know if there were some time saving shortcuts anyone had figured out.

I typically use route-tags and manipulating administrative distance to complete the tasks as you have mentioned Darby. I guess my question should have been more along the lines of “How long do you typically take to complete redistribution on a lab?” because 20-30 minutes may not be a bad time, but the normal amount of time.

When compared to the "configure xxx feature on a router" that takes 30 seconds and is worth 2 points redistribution takes more time than it's worth in terms of points.

Thanks again.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    dtlokee wrote:
    Thank you for the replies.

I have read Caslow and Doyle, done many of the examples on CCO. My problem isn't the concept of redistribution, but the time it takes for me to complete the task. I didn’t know if there were some time saving shortcuts anyone had figured out.

I typically use route-tags and manipulating administrative distance to complete the tasks as you have mentioned Darby. I guess my question should have been more along the lines of “How long do you typically take to complete redistribution on a lab?” because 20-30 minutes may not be a bad time, but the normal amount of time.

When compared to the "configure xxx feature on a router" that takes 30 seconds and is worth 2 points redistribution takes more time than it's worth in terms of points.

Thanks again.

The breakdown that Darby has given you is pretty comprehensive. I would only add that 20-30 minutes sound just fine considering how important the redistribution is going to be for your lab attempt. Take your time to identify the correct redistribution required in your lab topology, watch out for loops and then configure appropriately. Plenty of practice on redistribution examples and different measures to change tags, metrics, AD and filter routes should get your config time down nicely.
    Very true. If your lab isn't telling you where you should be doing redistribution then you need to look at that very carefully. Of course you may think redistribution is the obvious way to get routes to get to places when other simpler methods may suffice... default-information originate for example.
  • Uber-GeekUber-Geek Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When you practice, consider using "debug ip routing" to help out. That will tell you exactly what you are (or are not) getting at each router after your redistribution is added.

Scott