IPSec

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey fella's - just reading through the sybex book and onto chapter 3 of ipsec.

ive read the chapter and it went into great detail (literally about every single tab and option). do you need to know this for the exam or do you just need the general no how about it? i havent worked with ipsec at all so its a new area for me. has anyone got any suggestions to help me?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you need to know all about it for the exam including all of the options and tabs available. You may get a sim on it. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You definitely need to know about it for the exam. Know how the policies work, how to create one, and how to troubleshoot it. I would go through and practice setting up some IPSec policies then go through the commands on how to troubleshoot them.

It's not that bad once you go through the process of creating them a few times. =)
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    Security, and thus IPSEC and certificates were and to some degree still are my weakness. I don't know why. I knew that for the 70-292 and 70-296 exams I would going to need to dive into those subjects intimately. Some of the security chapters I had to re-read 3 or more times to firmly grasp the concepts. For me that really was the only way to force me to "get it" and yes it's required for the exams.

I will admit that after "getting it", I felt that special amount of personal satisfaction that I get when I overcome a technical obstacle. Kind of like in the movie "The Blues Brothers" near the beginning when they are in the church and the light of God shines down on Elwood Blues and he cries "Yes, Yes, I have seen the light!!!", and that's when he realizes the answer to save the orphanage is to put the band back together. icon_lol.gif

You have to take the bull by the horns on these exams.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies...

i have strarted playing with ipsec across multiple domains in vmware to get used to it and have to agree it is not bad going once you start configuring it and learning what will and wont work. i'll have to read a few more diff sources for the theory of it i feel to get a solid idea of what and how it works.

Another question has anyone come across questions where they ask you about event id's? as in the sybex book there is a few mentioned?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    I don't remember any exam questions which asked questions specifically about event IDs, but then again, I haven't seen all of the exam questions in the pool. I wouldn't worry too much about those though. Harness the concepts of IPSEC, EAP, PEAP, CA, the different levels oand combinations of authentication and encryption, local security policy settings and templates, etc.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+