Best version for newbies

w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
What is the best version of Linux for newbies to learn on?

I have a feeling I will get many different answers to this one, but I'm looking for a general consensus, if that is even possible.

Someone told me Slackware is Linux in it's purest form. Any ideas?

Comments

• TransatlanticTransatlantic Member Posts: 120
    Have you looked at knoppix, you can burn it to a cd, and run it without having to install it on your current system. It's certainly not the greatest, but it'll help you get a feel for how linux works
    "Mistakes have been made, others will be blamed."
  • w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    But which version will make me a linux GOD???
    I heard Slackware is the purest form.
    What about Red Hat?
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take you pic. If you are going to be a *nix god the distro doesnt really matter too much as you won't be using much of it anyways as you will be recompiling most things to suit and will be in text mode only.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Thanks. I'm leaning towards Red Hat. It appears to be the most popular option.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The latest Redhat Linux editions are not offered free anymore, the Redhat Enterprise Linux is $179....

You might want to try Fedora instead, it is an initiative of Redhat, and is available as a free download.

fedora.redhat.com

www.linuxiso.org too. Thanks for the help.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yeah, you could go for an 'older' version of RedHat, I noticed they call those legacy Redhat Linux by now. Note that these end-of-life editions and are not supported and updated anymore (at least not by redhat's RPMs).
  • rotnay6000rotnay6000 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Webmaster - Fedora is good, Core 2 has just been released and I have just installed it with only a minor issue. I have also tried mandrake10 and SuSE, both of which are good also.
    if you're not having fun, you must be at work :-)