How long did you study for A+?

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi everybody:

I just passed the CCNA and now I want to do A+ (I need to set more my bases).

I will use Sybex.

My main question is: How did you study for A+?

I have some exp. with computers and tech support, including Windows XP.

Thans four your comments.

Raul
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    A+ should be easy since your already have CCNA. I only studied for about 2 months for the exams and used examcram2 and mike meyers.
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    I took both exams in 1997. I did not formally study for either. I had been working with computer hardware and software since I was 10 years old. I wonder how much the exam has changed since 1997.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I was working at a PC technician at the time, and I had lots of experience. I studied about twenty minutes in the car before I went and took the tests. However, if you don't have signicifant experience actually doing the work, then do not understimate the A+. I've seen experienced network engineers, programmers, and even electrical engineers fail the 2003 exams due to a lack of preparation, and I imagine that the 2006 objectives are no less challenging. Spend at least a few weeks reading up for it, if you don't have significant professional experience. If you do have experience, I'd say spend a couple of days reading through a study guide, then go tackle the Essentials exam, then decide which specialty exam you want to take.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    impelse wrote:

My main question is: How did you study for A+?

Experience (years of it)
    Meyers Book

Walked it took the exam.

What's more important is "Do YOU know what you need to do to prepare for exams?" Can you merely read and retain everything? Do you need hands-on experience? Do you need to practice by explaning it to a complete novice?

Focus on what works for you. Download the objectives, review all of them, narrow down the list by eliminating the things you know (with a light review) and focus on the areas you need more time).

Ask questions in the forum here if you get stuck.

Best wishes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i studied with the meyers book for about 3 months whilst working full time
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • KejanardKejanard Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the exams last week and passed. I had started to study for the 2003 version from last november, was prepared after one month but I didnt do the exam then. Finally I decided to do the revised 2006 version last month and it took me three weekends to prepare. Also it helps to have hands-on experience. Used A+ Complete from Sybex, along with CBTs.
    Kejanard
    www.kejanard.net

"All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire." -Aristotle
  • blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    I had about 40 weeks of classroom instruction, spread over 3 courses, complete with hands-on lab exercises. The classes were based on the 2003 objectives. I also worked part time at a public computer lab on-campus. I was stupid and didn't take the exams right after the classes. That was bad for two reasons. One, obviously I practically forgot all the material. Two, they were offering discount vouchers for both exams. So, I ended up starting to re-read both books a few months ago. Finally completed the tests a few weeks ago.

I don't learn well by reading. The in-classroom instruction and hands-on labs are what carried me through.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I studied for about 3 weeks.... I was already working in the field as a PC repair technician for about 3 years before I took it.