*TechNotes* 70-270 Windows XP Pro

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Here's a list of a our current TechNotes for the Windows XP 70-270 exam. The TechNotes are also available in a printer-friendly format, and eventually I will put them all together in a single PDF file.
Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions so I can edit/add it before it ends up in the PDF guide.

icon_arrow.gifInstalling Windows XP Professional
Covers system requirements, attended installations, unattended installations using Setup Manager, Sysprep and RIS, upgrading, migrating, Windows Product Activation, updates and troubleshooting.

icon_arrow.gifImplementing and Conducting Administration of Resources
Covers FAT, FAT32 and NTFS file systems, converting file systems, NTFS compressions, Compressed (Zipped) Folders, NTFS permissions, shared folders and share permissions, offline files.

icon_arrow.gifPrinting
Covers Windows XP local and network printing. Creating, configuring, sharing, securing and connecting to printers.

icon_arrow.gifDesktop Environment
Covers User Profiles, multiple langauges and locations, local settings and Windows Installer packages.

icon_arrow.gifStorage
Covers storage types, dynamic and basic, spanning, striping, removable media and disk management tasks.

icon_arrow.gifBackup, Restore, Repair, and Recover
Covers Backup, Restore, System State Data, ASR, System Restore, Safe Mode, Last Know Good, Device Driver Roll Back and more.

icon_arrow.gifDevices and Drivers
Covers Device Manager, display devices, ACPI, driver signing, multi-processor configuration, and installing various I/O devices.

icon_arrow.gifIntroduction to ADS
Covers Windows 2000 Active Directory basics and terminology.

icon_arrow.gifRemote Assistance and Remote Dekstop
Covers Remote Assitance and Remote Dekstop, invitations, offers and troubleshooting.

icon_arrow.gifInternet Connection Sharing (ICS) and Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
Covers Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and Internet Connection Firewall (ICF).

icon_arrow.gifInternet Information Services (IIS)
Covers Internet Internet Information services, home directories, virtual directories, web sharing, permissions and troubleshooting.

icon_arrow.gifEncrypted Files System (EFS)
Covers Encrypted File System (EFS), Recovery Agents, and CIPHER command.

icon_arrow.gifAuditing *NEW*
Covers local Audit Policy and Event Viewer's security log configuration.

icon_arrow.gifPerformance *NEW*
Covers memory, processor, disk, and application performance, Task Manager, System Monitor and Performance Logs and Alerts, Disk Defragmenter, Scheduled Tasks, and Visual Effects.

icon_arrow.gifLocal User and Group Accounts *NEW*
Covers Local Users and Groups, account settings, account policies, and user rights assignment.

icon_arrow.gifInternet Explorer *NEW*
Covers Internet explorer security settings and access to resources.

Johan :D

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I just finished the second 70-270 TechNote and added it to the list in the post above :D
    Let me know if you have any comments or if I need to cover some topics in more detail...
  • hrn111hrn111 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    I just finished the second 70-270 TechNote and added it to the list in the post above :D
    Let me know if you have any comments or if I need to cover some topics in more detail...

Thanks for the time you spend on this.
    Thank you, you're welcome :)

I'm currently working on the part that I personally dislike the most: Printing icon_bounce.gif
  • CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    I agree Master, prinitng on any exam is insane, i rather be tested on safety procedure, then tears a printer inside out to identify what the actual problem is.
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hi Webmaster
    i've just been reading your 20-270 installing win xp pro technote
    excellent read
    but you list the min requirements as
    VGA compatible or higher
    it actually needs SVGA 800x600 or higher
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/sysreqs.asp
    just to let you know so as you can alter it
    thanks again for the work you put into this site
    :D
    My 70-270 training kit from MS press says VGA adapter, but you are correct. Thanks, I'll change it.

This is actually the same old problem, for many OS versions there were conflicting resources for the sys requirements. Perhaps part of the reason they don't question on system requirements in the exam ;)
  • ZaDrEaMeRZaDrEaMeR Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you very much WebMaster For your hard work ,,,

I just finish da first track of MCSE windows 2003 , 70-270 ( win xp) and i don't know did i go to test now ?? or i have to wait?

i mean some peoble told me to wait and go to test after the third track ?? what do u think ??

Thank you again and i'm waiting for your Great PDF File :D
    Professional Work Needs a Real IT .......
    Added the Printing TechNotes for the Windows XP 70-270 exam:

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/printing.shtml
    Added Introduction to Active Directory Services TechNotes
    Covers Windows 2000 Active Directory basics and terminology.
  • matlmatl Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Work Webmaster, but the link to AD is not working here.
    Thanks!

fixed the link...
  • cMajewskicMajewski Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks WebMaster for all your good work. I appreciate it greatly. :D

I have a quick question regarding study material. Currently, I'm using a book by Sybex, which seems fine, but I'm worried, because I've seen you recommend the 70-270 trainng kit from MS. My question is this: Will I get all I need to know to pass the exam from the Sybex book, or should I switch to the 70-270 training kit? TIA!

Also, would you recommend using transcender? It seems expensive, almost cost prohibitive for someone on a budget.

Thanks Again
  • jobberjobber Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your tech notes! Those things are great. I'm taking the test soon and you're notes are better than any other resource I've found.
    Thanks a lot for your comments. :D

I'm working on some new TechNotes for the 70-270 exam covering backup/restore, inclusing system restore, system state data etc.etc. which should be ready soon.
    cMajewski wrote:
    My question is this: Will I get all I need to know to pass the exam from the Sybex book, or should I switch to the 70-270 training kit? TIA!

Also, would you recommend using transcender? It seems expensive, almost cost prohibitive for someone on a budget.
    I personally prefer the MS Training Kits, mostly because no single book covers it all (you always need to do some additional reading on the web, and or help files) and the MS kits cover the primary topics and provide lab excersises that often correspond to exam questions.

Transcenders are only expensive compared to the cheap products. I think it is worth the money, especially for MS exams. Not only the questions are very similar to the kind you'll see in the real exam, but the extensive explanations and perfect references are what make Transcenders such a good product.

Also check out the deal we made with ExamForce allowing us to give free version of there products: http://www.examforce.com/customer/special4.php?sid=525
    I just finshed new TechNotes for the 70-270 exam, which cover Backup, Restore, System State Data, ASR, System Restore, Safe Mode, Last Know Good, Device Driver Roll Back and more.

Should have some new ones (Devices and Drivers) ready very soon... as well as the 70-210 versions of these notes.

Have fun reading! :D
    The Devices and Drivers TechNotes is becoming a bit too long, so I decided to cut it in two, having finished the first half :)

The first for this domain is Storage, it covers storage types, dynamic and basic, spanning, striping, removable media and basic storage management tasks. You can find the related exam objectives at the bottom of the notes.

The remaining half of Devices and Drivers will cover the remaing Skills Being Measured from the Devices and Drivers domain:
    Implement, manage, and troubleshoot display devices.
    Configure multiple-display support.
    Install, configure, and troubleshoot a video adapter.

Configure Advanced Configuration Power Interface (ACPI).
    Implement, manage, and troubleshoot input and output (I/O) devices.
    Monitor, configure, and troubleshoot I/O devices, such as printers, scanners, multimedia devices, mouse, keyboard, and smart card reader.
    Monitor, configure, and troubleshoot multimedia hardware, such as cameras.
    Install, configure, and manage modems.
    Install, configure, and manage Infrared Data Association (IrDA) devices.
    Install, configure, and manage wireless devices.
    Install, configure, and manage USB devices.
    Install, configure, and manage hand held devices.
    Install, configure, and manage network adapters.

Manage and troubleshoot drivers and driver signing.
    Monitor and configure multiprocessor computers.
    I'm half way with that one, and should have it ready within a week or so.... if things go the way I planned for a change ;)

After that, I think three more TechNotes will make it complete:
    1. Performance
    Monitoring and Optimizing System Performance and Reliability
    Monitor, optimize, and troubleshoot performance of the Windows XP Professional desktop.
    Optimize and troubleshoot memory performance.
    Optimize and troubleshoot processor utilization.
    Optimize and troubleshoot disk performance.
    Optimize and troubleshoot application performance.
    Configure, manage, and troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks.

Manage, monitor, and optimize system performance for mobile users.
    2. Implementing, Managing, and Troubleshooting Network Protocols and Services
    3. Configuring, Managing, and Troubleshooting Security

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.asp
  • therucktheruck Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the exam and at least questions was answered because i have read your overview. Thank YOU for your great work!
    Thank you and congrats! :D
  • anisekoaniseko Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    can you do some notes for Internet Explorer tools/options and also certificates
    I have done some questions on trandump and come across some questions on these ones. sybex book does not say much!
    thanks
  • 4SG4SG Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got a question regarding the Backup, Restore, Repair, and Recover TechNote. In the System State Data section there’s a sentence I can’t seem to grasp.

“You must be an administrator on the local computer to back up and restore System State data, and you can only backup the System State data on a remote computer, not on a remote computer.”

Any thoughts?
    “You must be an administrator on the local computer to back up and restore System State data, and you can only backup the System State data on a remote computer, not on a remote computer.”
    should be (I updated the TechNotes):
    “You must be an administrator on the local computer to back up and restore System State data, and you can only backup the System State data on the local computer, not on a remote computer.”

Thanks for letting me know, and I'm sorry if it caused any confusion.
  • anisekoaniseko Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    webmaster, any responses to my request before.
    Yeah, I will write a separate TechNote for the "Configure, manage, and troubleshoot Internet Explorer security settings" exam objective.

It is on the bottom of the list though ;)

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.asp

I suggest you try out the various settings and use XP's Help and Support search option for the topics you have difficulty grasping.

I just added new TechNotes for other 70-270 exam objectives though:

Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop
  • 4SG4SG Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Webmaster. At first I was like - maybe it means this…. Or maybe this…
    Then I figured I’d just ask. Thanks for clearing it up.
  • chrismirandachrismiranda Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :D hi... i'm just new here... it's cool having a great site like this. thanks Webmaster
    CHRIS (",)
  • Adilson1966Adilson1966 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank You Man, your site is very COOL !!!!
    Adilson

I just added new TechNotes for the following two exam objectives:
    - Configure and troubleshoot Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
    - Configure, manage, and troubleshoot an Internet Connection Firewall (ICF).

icon_arrow.gifInternet Connection Sharing (ICS) and Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
    I just finished and uploaded the Devices and Drivers TechNotes. I tried to keep it short and concise, as this is probably the most boring part of the exam... although equally important for the exam as the other topics/TechNotes...

icon_arrow.gifDevices and Drivers

Happy reading, and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Johan :D
    Here's another one about Internet Internet Information services, web site home directories, virtual directories, web sharing, permissions and troubleshooting:

icon_arrow.gifInternet Information Services (IIS)

Should give enough coverage if IIS for the 70-270 exam, but as always I suggest playing around with the various IIS features and settings in lab in case you don't have hands-on experience already.