DNS and MX records

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
howdy

just reading over the sybex book and it asks you to create a mx record for a mail server and an alias. basically what i want to know is if exchange is installed would it not create them automatically?

what would the purpose of this be?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    I can't recall if exchange puts in its own MX record. From my experience MX records are usually created manually to ensure that other mail organizations can access your server.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out OReilly's books on BIND and EXIM for much more details on DNS, MX records and how mailers work. Your DNS life needs to be good whatever mailserver you choose to run.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exchange does not create an MX record. There is no need to have one right off the bat. Exchange requires a manual configuration to be able to send and/or receive mail over the internet. In Exchange 2003, you can use the internet mail wizard to configure Exchange to receive and/or send mail over the internet. In Exchange 2007, you configure a receive and/or a send connector. When you configure Exchange to allow for internet mail, you would then go onto a publicly accessible internet dns server that is authoritative for the second level domain you are going to be accepting mail for, and configure an MX record.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    And from what I recall in my studies, the process order of MX records goes from low priority to high priority. For example;

Mail1.domain.com (Priority: 5)
    Mail2.domain.com (Priority: 15)
    Mail3.domain.com (Priority: 10)

Would process in the following order: Mail1, Mail3, Mail2 (going from lowest priority to highest)
  • taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    Mail1.domain.com (Priority: 5)
    Mail2.domain.com (Priority: 15)
    Mail3.domain.com (Priority: 10)

Would process in the following order: Mail1, Mail3, Mail2 (going from lowest priority to highest)

Lower number has higher priority. In your example, if you intentionally type it like that, then you are correct.

Keep in mind that the mail server also needs the A record.
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    taktsoi wrote:
    Lower number has higher priority. In your example, if you intentionally type it like that, then you are correct.

Keep in mind that the mail server also needs the A record.
    Yep, it was intentional -- It might've been too easy if it processed Mail1, Mail2, and Mail3 in the same order it was named icon_wink.gif I guess it might've been better to name the example hosts as MailA, MailB, MailC :)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies

i think i was originally getting confused with what it was trying to say
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • thanhtikethanhtike Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • wpiersallwpiersall Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep in mind, someone might have a simulation on the exam that might deal with the following

1. Create a MX record for ServerD while making it first to recieve mail.
    2. Change ServerX Priority to be second.
    3. Change ServerY Priority to be third.

Remember when making a MX you do not put a name on the first line. Be sure to browse to the server you wish to create MX record for on the second entry.

This might been seen somewhere with in the world of Microsoft or even in the real world. Just something that some one COULD see.
    Who is General Failure and what is he doing in my computer!!