Options

Master Browser Wars

NaurNaur Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone, hope someone can help.

Here's the sceniro I'm currently having:

I have a computer that acts as a "server" on a peer-to-peer LAN. It's running Windows XP PRO and it's where the staff stores all their shared files and where they run their backup. Recently they've had problems with this machine. The other machines on the LAN can see the server but when I try to browse the network on this machine it gets an "access denied" error message. This is preventing them from doing their daily backup. I know there has been some documented cases of master browser wars on LANs that have WIN2K and XP PRO machines. Not sure what the problem could be with all XP machines.

Anyone have a solution I can work with? greatly appreciate any help, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    It could be either a user account or file access permission issue. Maybe somebody created some files without everyone read/write privs?
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    oops! right.. master browser, didn't read that right.
    ignore that last post..
    http://is-it-true.org/nt/registry/rtips13.shtml
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    hehe one of my clients had this exact same problem the first time I went in. All I did to resolve was isolate which box was causing the problem, then popped the stack. Hasn't given me a problem since. Of course, I may have just gotten lucky ;)
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=