New Member looking for some advise.

Want2B_anExpertWant2B_anExpert Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone! I just found this site today and I look forward to sharing as well as gaining some knowledge.

I currently work as an applications programmer (mostly VB6), most of the systems my applications run on are Windows 2000 Pro, a few XP Pro. I have NO MS certifications and my employer doesn't support me getting any, so I'm sorta on my own.

From my current job perspective, I set up the basic network configurations for the client side of the workstations. From there I work mostly with the workstation; set up users, user/work station security, system backup/restore, unique text file configurations related to unique systems the workstation controls via unique I/O cards in the PC. This is a manufacturing plant and these work stations are actually manufacturing equipment controllers. They have unique software (in addition to the software I write) as well as MS Office applications.

Hopefully, this offers some idea of my situation.

Since I know very little about the MS certifications, my question is pretty simple, What certifications would you recommend? I'm looking for input not only based on my current job described above, but also based on the general market of what employers may be interested in with regards to an apps programmer. I feel I'm a bit BEHIND the times since I am only now moving into supporting SOAP, XML, and still using VB6. (It almost hurts just reading that last sentence to myself.)

Comments

• 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi there, welcome to the site, the usual route is mcp, then mcsa then possible on to mcse for microsoft certs, all the info you need can be found in the microsoft certs area of the forums, take a look
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Perhaps getting into some kind of Microsoft Developer Certifications might be a way for you to go... I unfortunately do not have any experience with these certifications.... I do very little programming myself.

We do have a developer section on these forums that I think would be helpful to check out if you are interested in going that route.
  • Want2B_anExpertWant2B_anExpert Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After looking at Microsoft's web site (I guess I should have done a little more research myself), it looks like the MCP comes with (almost) ANY MS certification. It may make most sense for me to look at the MCDST (70-271 and 70-272) first? This appears to be the basic (if there is such a thing) support for the XP O/S.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another option would be the the Network+ is covers networking fundamentals.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Honestly, and this is just my opinion, but if you are already employed doing what you are doing then I think that you may want to go for something to help further your career to the next level, like the MCSA. You can use the MCDST as an elective for the MCSA, so that may be a good route to go. Just a thought.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I never really hear anyone talking about the MCDST. I have not ever heard 1 manager/director ever mention this cert... Honestly I think it is a waste of time.

If you want certification to help you become a system administrator then employers think of only one cert.

MCSE MCSE MCSE
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    In case you haven't noticed it yet, you may want to check out my recent overview of the Microsoft certifications for developers:
    www.techexams.net/blogs/net/microsoft-developer-certifications-overview

Based on your intro, it may be wise to start with one of the 'new' certifications (.NET 2.0 MCTS or MCPD for example). But, an MCDST would allow you to upgrade to an MCITP for Vista later on, which may be useful if you need to update your app to run on Vista. I think it depends a lot on whether you also want to continue developing, or want to go into support or system administration. If it's the latter, personally I'd skip the MCDST (partly because you mentioned your employer doesn't support you) and go for the 70-270 instead. After that MCP, you can decide to complete the MCSA or go for the MCSE, or a Vista MCTS, or .NET 2.0 MCTS for example. Regardless of which path you take, that 70-270 won't be a waste (i.e. gets your MCP and completes the client exam requirement for MCSA and MCSE).

And welcome on board icon_thumright.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'm working on both C# and VB6 apps at the same time at my job. Although there will be work for VB6 programmers for years to come, starting now to learn .NET (C# or VB.NET) will insure that you will have more Windows software engineering opportunities open to you in the future. Studying for the MCTS/MCPD .NET certs is a great way to learn C#/VB.NET and the .NET Framework. However, employers will be most interested in your actual work experiences with .NET, so find a way to start writing .NET apps at your current job so you will have some experience for your resume.