Options

My brother-in-law told me and I am his tech support!

wowitfothwowitfoth Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been using Norton A/V and Zone Alarm Pro for a long time. I got blasted and neither detected anything. Not to mention trojans as well. I was directed to MicroTrend.com and ran there free system scan. It found blaster and trojans! Along with all the info for removal!I bought PC Cillin(Antivirus Software)from them and ditched Norton! There A/V comes bundled with a firewall as well, Zone Labs is gone! I am very happy with this combo. Anyone using this? What is your opinion? I do not work for them and this is no survey. LOL! I have never heard of Micro Trend. Is this to good to be true? The system scan is twice as fast as Norton!
Peace,
WallyWorldEntertainment
spysig.php?lang=en&char=ironman

Comments

• Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Zone Alarm should have asked you whether or not you wanted to allow the trojan internet access (Sygate did when I got it) even if it doesn't prevent you from getting it.

I've heard of PC Cillin before, but I haven't ever used it.

Did you keep Norton up to date? I use AVG from Grisoft and I'm happy with it. Find what you're happy with and use it until you have a reason not to. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bet I have seen more than a few virus that PCcillin would miss too. A question though - did you read your scan logs? Where were the virus located?
    Recently I used Trend online scan as a cross reference to McAfee that was on a clients machine (don't really trust McAfee) and it found many instances of virus. However most of them were located in the McAfee quarantine folder, so they were not really a threat.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm using Trend Micro (PC Cillin and House Call) for quite some years now. I first heard of Trend Micro when I was implementing a huge MS Exchange network with dozens of servers and thousands of clients. They needed protection from the outside, because the e-mail virusses were becoming a trend. After doing a lot of research and testing I implemented a Virus Wall (from Trend Micro), simple but very effective. Since that time I only use Trend Micro, they are often the first with a signature file to remove new virusses.

Some months later I had to select a anti-virus product on all those clients as well as the Exchange servers (scanning directly in the information store/database) after a lot of tests with combining products, and reading loads of white papers and reports by other testers, the best solution proofed to be a combination of a Trend Micro product (in this case the viruswall, outside) and McAffee on the inside (on client and servers).

When Melissa and the other famous virusses/trojans appeared, I had no worries. :) while many other companies had to pull the plug...

I'm not working for Trend Micro either. ;)
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i use norton a/v at home. and reasonably pleased with it. my system is 98se, and the only virii to get-through have been kazaa-related. i've learned my lesson.

on a system i built for a friend of my wife last year, i installed grisoft (it's free) and think it works fine - though the appearance looks rather dated.

on a few systems i have serviced of late, i have installed avast (it's free) and i have been considering switching to it.

i don't use a firewall. i tried zone alarm for a week a number of years ago and hated it.

a/v selection depends of many things. apart from the likelyhood of it catching virii, it should also come at a price you are willing to spend on the security of remaining virus-free, an appearance you like and controls you understand, but also how frequently the virus definitions or profiles are updated, and how they are updated.

the version of nav i have, is 2000 (i think), and i manually have to update the definitions. a/v that update in the background seem a much better idea, provided you aren't fond of your bandwidth, but if your data (or time) is important, probably worthwhile.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    avast do this great worm/trojan disk. it's another free-download from their site and it detects and removes a lot of the recent worms and trojans - the likes of sobig, blaster and mydoom. handier than downloading all available tools from symantec (my previous first stop).
    A+ Moderator