internet sharing problem

rajunplrajunpl Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Recently, I plan to share the (broadband) internet access in my home using windows XP in both.I bought a hub and the RJ 45 cables.Then I configured my computer with

IP address 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
preferred dns 192.168.1.1

the other computer i am trying to share the internes access is configured as

IP address 192.168.0.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.0.1
preffered dns 192.168.1.1

When I do lukeback both computer are okay.And when i ping each other my computer IP address 192.168.0.1 ping the other one. But when I ping to mine from other IP address 192.168.0.2. It says timeout error. As i try to access the internet from other IP address 192.168.0.2 . The browser strat to progress and says connection failed.

how could i solve this? would be much appreceated and thanks in advance for help

Comments

• w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Are both PCs connected to the hub?
    Is the hub connected to the router?
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All you need to do is buy yourself a LinkSys Cable\DSL Router. That will fix all your problems. It's a Router\Firewall\DHCP Server all-in-one. You'll be able to share your internet connection with both PC's. Takes 2 minutes to install.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    I hate to be trying for my mcse and telling you this, but in xp there is a network setup wizard. I have had times were i thought i set up my network perfect, but i could use my internet on client or something.. Needless to say, I used that and it fixed the whole problem
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Totally agree with Viper, but if you want to use the hub you could also try the network wizard instead. Run it on the pc that connects to the internet, configure the other PC as a DHCP client (automatically receive IP). The disadvantage is that PC1 with the internet connection must be up and running to allow access to the other PC. This wouldn't be necessary if you bought a cable/dsl access router.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • rajunplrajunpl Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I let the windows give the ip address automatically. It happened, it shares the connection but it diconnect in a few minutes when i try to open othe pages in the other computer which is connected through mine.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    bah, linksys makes things too easy ;) My network is hiding behind a Linux box which acts as my router/firewall/dns/dhcp server hehe
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • rajunplrajunpl Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So is it right that I won't be able to share broadband intrenet connection via hub?

what about the dial up connection ??