Options

CCNP Timeline

jstew33jstew33 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
What would be a legitimate timeline for getting through to CCNP status? I'm a 6 month old CCNA and am fairly motivated. I'm just not sure if we're talking months or years? Also, what is the best texts and authors for the tests. I know everyone was big on Lammle for the CCNA. What about hardware setup and is self study sufficient. Thanks for all the help!

Jerrod

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spend the hour or two it takes to read the first few pages of this forum and literally every one of your questions will be answered.

A timeline depends solely on how much time you have to study, how well you retain stuff, and how motivated you are.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote:
    A timeline depends solely on how much time you have to study, how well you retain stuff, and how motivated you are
    and how dedicated you are, and your experience.
    jstew33 wrote:
    What would be a legitimate timeline for getting through to CCNP status?
    Once you're past the CCNA -- Cisco Press books are the only game in town...

You'd have to make the decision on self-study. If you think you're only "fairly motivated" you might want to consider/compare classes vs self-study. The cost difference might increase your motivation level and make self-study a better option. Do you even have a Cisco CCNP Network Academy program nearby?

About the time --

I think the one Cisco Network Academy I checked out did the CCNP program spread it over four mostly full semesters -- I think 12 weeks each. If they had scheduled across the schools academic semesters they could have fit it in one full calendar year.

The 4 CCNA Semesters could be taught in 8 weeks, 2 to an academic semester, and all 4 in the 9 month academic year.

From the courseware I saw for the old CCNP, compared to the CCNA Academy courseware, each CCNP semester module had almost twice the amount of material covered than in the CCNA semester modules.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    teezeeteezee Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my world i'd say you just take a break for like a month to get enough momentum for the CCNP becos the new CCNP..... i don't know really! It's a bit different from the CCNA i know. What i am trying to say is this!!! get yourself going tro the cisco site get the whole syllabus downloaded for CCNP and review them. That should give you a good over view of wat you about getting into. As of the best materials to use.... again i would say it depends on your.

First off going tro the academy is some wonderful Idea but if you gat the cash for it. Personally i am not that much of a book kinda guy! i love seeing hands on, to me books keeps leaving me icon_confused.gif:ing of how is this going to be done on the router or switch. So i'd say to ans that. If you can get your self some CBT Nuggets... those guys are good they did some wonderful job. I can recommend them to anyone who's willing to spend the money on them. I am doing it... as a matter of fact i gat lots and lots of their works. And i stand to say i don't regret it. But hold up a min! they cant' give you everything you need even books too... you might have to study different materials to get facts that CBT Nuggets wouldn't teach you. But i stand to say they will put you on the 80% track of what Cisco expect of you. You do the remaining 20% for yourself.

This is to say i prefare CBT Nuggets! so go get yourself their new CCNP and you'd love the guy that took it Jeremy is some crazy guy that knows Cisco good enough to put you on track of being a CCNP.