Options

293 before 299? (after 291)

jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
I am trying to plan out my test taking after 291, i'm wondering should I go for the 299 to get security specialization for mcsa or would 293 first help me out better with some concepts on 299

i've already taken the official courses for both, but that was almost two years ago icon_confused.gif

sooo.......

i'm just wondering, should I go for the specialization and get the credential or would doing 293 be more beneficial since it does cover some security? My thoughts were that 299 prep will also prep me for the security topics on 293, but I could be wrong, the main security topics I see on 293 are pki/ca stuff, I don't know, just wondering what you all thought....293 does seem close enough in content that i could move right into that after 291 and build on 293 with the 299....

ahh decisions.....decisions.....
get back to studying!!!

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would take 293 right after 291 since there is a lot of crossover between the two exams. I waited to take 293 about a year after 291 and it made studying more difficult for me.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    thanks
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree. If you do 298 last as the design elective for your MCSE then 299 will be a breeze, the latter is just the implementation side of the same topics.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I'm in the same boat. I took the 70-291 about a year ago, and I wish I'd gone right into 70-293 then. It's a great transition from the infrastructure stuff you learned in 70-291 to the security stuff you'll be doing in 70-299. All things considered, I'd say doing the preliminary security and infrastructure training in 70-293 is going to be very beneficial to the more advanced security concepts you'll be learning for 70-299.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    thanks for the input
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote:
    I agree. If you do 298 last as the design elective for your MCSE then 299 will be a breeze, the latter is just the implementation side of the same topics.

I was thinking the other way around, that if I do the implementation first it will be easier to do the design, that's how it seemed in the classes. design was basically application of the things learned through the implementation course.
    get back to studying!!!