Passed 70-236

I passed the 70-236 exam today. I thought since this is a fairly new test I would give a little review. Note that I did not take the 71-236 beta exam so all this was new to me.

What I used to Study:
Experience with exchange 2007 since Beta 1 in a home lab powered by Microsoft Virtual Server 2005.

Read thru all the articles on Exchange 2007 at msexchange.org.

Read thru a lot of message board posting at msexchange.org and at the Microsoft Technet site.

Henrik Walther’s book “How to **** at configuring at Configuring Exchange Server 2007”. Great Read by the way.

Jim McBee and Berry Gerber’s book “Mastering Microsoft Exchange Server 2007”. Another really great book.

The Microsoft podcast entitled “24 hours of Exchange 2007” by Harold Wong. Great guy and a real neat way to study while you’re driving or working out.

As you have noticed there is not a whole lot of “official” study material out for 70-236 since it is such a new test. You really got to get out in the wild and look for different material but I hope by listing what I used you will have a good start.

The test it self is not the hardest I have taken but given that this is a MCTS test and Microsoft’s new flag ship of certifications I think they are doing there best to make sure you earn the title. I will tell you right now thought that if you don’t know the Exchange Management Shell or just passed over it thinking you would never use it, stop right now and learn it backwards and forwards.

Also I did not have any interactive questions with this test but from what I understand all three of the Exchange 2007 exams will be rewritten toward the end of the year to include interactive questions so you might want to knock these out sooner instead of later. Anyway that is all I am going to say about the test since I don’t want to break any rules.

I am hoping to take 70-237 next month so I will give you a report on that one as well after I am done. Please feel free to post with any other questions you might have and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Comments

• Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Ouch guess not many people are intrested in this exam? Or has everyone already taken it :)
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not interested in Exchange, but there is always room for a well-deserved "Congrats"!

Good job, nice overview of the exam. Sure it will help those preparing for the exam.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! What did you use to achieve your Powershell readiness for Exchange 2007?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

I am also interested in what you used for powershell. I found the quick review file in technet. Did you use that? Did it help?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Also, did you mostly get Exchange 2007 barebone install questions? What about Co-existence with Exchange 2003? I just got a free voucher and a free retake voucher; both of which I have to complete by June 29th. I'm thinking about picking up the SANS book, but they go into way too much stuff that doesn't pertain to Exchange 2003. I wish I had time to order these books off of Amazon, but I don't have time to waste.
  • Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Sorry for the delay, been a busy week :)

Anyway the books I listed above go into powershell very well and will tell you what you need to know. Jim McBee's book especially was very good about explaining how to do something in the EMC and than giving the EMS commands right after.

Of course there is no better way to learn than to just do. If you have a test lab with Exchange 2007 just play around with EMS. the /help command after any command is very good about letting you know what you can do with the command.

Royal I didn't have many co-existence questions at all but there are some. Most of it pertained to just Exchange 2007. Whatever you do stay away from the SAMS book. That was the biggest waste of $30 I ever spent. The book like you said is filled with useless junk and there are a LOT of errors.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going through Henrik Walther’s book right now. I won't have time to do the other, but thankfully I've done an Exchange 2007 deployment for a 1000 user company a few months ago and learned a lot from reading TechNet's Exchange 2007 library. I've also played around with a Unified Messaging lab on our company's test network. I was hoping you learned most of your powershell from the book I am reading, but unfortunately, I guess I'll have to make due with Henrik Walther’s book.
  • mark2008mark2008 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Preparing for the 70-236 exam? Searching 70-236 Test Questions, 70-236 Practice Exam, 70-236 ****?

If you prepare for 70-236 exam using our testing engine, we guarantee your success in the first attempt. If you do not pass the 70-236 exam on your first attempt we will give you a FULL REFUND of your purchasing fee AND send you another same value product for free.
  • cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    Congrats!

I am currently studying for this one. Are you doing all the mcitp:messaging track?

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • kjhugheskjhughes Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying for this exam, and am documenting my study / knowledge here : Configuring Exchange 2007

I hope it is of use to others..

.. KJ