Options

Home lab reset

dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
So basicly I decided to get myself some hardware for my home lab. I was wondering if it is a good idea to reset the routers and switches to factory default so as to have a "new" enviroment on what to practice on. Will this interfere with my CCNA studies or will I have to set up the routers completly to get any usefull functionality from day 1 ?.

Comments

• Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dredlord wrote:
    So basicly I decided to get myself some hardware for my home lab. I was wondering if it is a good idea to reset the routers and switches to factory default so as to have a "new" enviroment on what to practice on. Will this interfere with my CCNA studies or will I have to set up the routers completly to get any usefull functionality from day 1 ?.
    It will provide you with some good experience as you will have a fresh router with no configuration which *needs* to be configured and will be insecure.

You can then apply everything you have learnt into configuring and securing the router.
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    manicmanic Inactive Imported Users Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the way my lab is configured is my my TS has its own config that never changes unless i add a peice of equipment or change the name of the hosts or something, but the routers and switches in the lab have nothing set other then a password for telnet and i think i have the console passworded too, nothing else goes past the run config. that way when i turn the lab off at night i start up with a fresh lab, and if i want to keep the configs i just dont turn it off. works for me :D

EDIT: i should say my switch, i only have one atm, a 3524. cant afford 2 3550's or 2 3560's and 3750's are too nice for a lab...:D
    "What do you want from me?" -Pink Floyd
  • Options
    dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    I like your idea of a constant refresh on power down. You wouldnt happen to know of any nice tutorials to configuing the routers to operate that way?
  • Options
    manicmanic Inactive Imported Users Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im not sure i know what your asking...if you dont write the run config to the start config, when you power down the router, you should lose the config. only thing with the switchs are that the vlans arnt deleted, you need to delete them seperatly.
    "What do you want from me?" -Pink Floyd