Options

Beginner to Network+ . Is it easy to get?

TopologyTopology Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Before I've registered to this site, i read a lot of posts where people got their Network+ certificate and got really excited. Anyhow, I took a course in Networking with my professor and I think it has a lot to do with memorizing.

Is the Network+ certificate really hard?
If I understand and memorize the textbook inside out, would I able to pass the real exam?
Does the exam contain suprising questions that are not from the textbook?
Are the questions really in-depth and detailed-oriented?
Only 85 questions??? if i get 60 correct i pass right?

Most importantly, i'm using this book right now. Is it out of date?

Network+ Guide to Networks
Forth Edition
ISBN: 0-619-21743-X

I kindly ask if someone can suggest any best materials to study off from. CD's, books, magazines, tutorials, hands on exercises, practice exams, etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Topology wrote:
    Hi,

Is the Network+ certificate really hard?
    If I understand and memorize the textbook inside out, would I able to pass the real exam?
    Does the exam contain suprising questions that are not from the textbook?
    Are the questions really in-depth and detailed-oriented?
    Only 85 questions??? if i get 60 correct i pass right?

Most importantly, i'm using this book right now. Is it out of date?

Network+ Guide to Networks
    Forth Edition
    ISBN: 0-619-21743-X

Thanks

The Network+ is an entry level certification. Entry level typically means that the exam's difficulty level is going to lower than many other Networking certifications. This also means that it's market value is going to be lower.

Does that mean the Network+ is easy? I would say it really depends on the person taking the exam. It not only depends on work experience in the field and classes taken but it also depends on a persons ability to take tests. Not everyone tests well under pressure.

Could you pass the Network+ by memorizing parts of a book? Sure you can, but you should learn the material. By learning the material and understanding the roots of the subject you will be able to to apply the knowledge to future exams or on the job more easily.

I can't really comment on the book you have but for the Network+ there are some objectives that don't really change.... Many concepts are still the same. So that book is a good start, coming here and checking out the Tech notes is also a good idea.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    No, the exam is not easy. It requires committment, diligence and study. It requires critical thinking skills and the ability to troubleshoot. It is not an exam based on rote memorization. icon_confused.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Hello

Personaly I did not feel the Network+ exam to be too diffucult, this was also a field that interested me a good deal so it came to me pretty easily. This is an entry level cert that will be useful for a good foundation into networking, and can help you on your resume. BUT if you're going to put in the time to study for this exam don't spend it just memorizing the information but rather to understand it, the test will go much more smoothly for you that way. Plus you can use the knowledge when you continue on to different paths. That is my eyes is the most important when you go into an interview you're going to be asked questions that you'll need to understand the topic, not memorize them.

As for the questions 85 sounds like the right number of questions but there is no set number for as passing score as each question is weighted differently. So it all depends, but I can gaurentee you that if you get them all right you'll pass icon_wink.gif

The book I believe you are asking about is by Tamara Dean, I think that was the book i had used for a college course on Network+. It's a very informative book for references, I mainly studied by reading Exam Cram 2 and Transender, while using Network+ Guide to Networks as a reference to topics i needed to read into more....hope this helps!
  • Options
    TopologyTopology Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for everyone's input.

i will purchase the other two network+ books recommended on this site and maybe transcender.

But, i am afraid of purchasing "transcender product" online. Does anyone here have the Network+ transcender CD in Toronto? I prefer to pay in person.

Thanks
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Is Network+ easy?
    If you have a good willpower, it is not. It won't be easy, if you have no desire to get it.
    Comparing to A+, it ain't a thing to worry about.

for 7 layers of OSI Model, remember this phrase:
    "Please Dont Throw Sausage Pizza Away"
    P- Physical
    D- Data Link
    T- Transport
    S- Session
    P- Presentation
    A- Application

hit hard on the followings:

- PPTP/SLIP/LT2P/CHAP
    - Kerberos/SSL/ IPsec/ WEP/WPA/ 802.11 series<especially 802.11g and b>
    - voice and data channel capacities
    - data rate speeds on T1 and T3 <but not limited to>
    - DSL/ISDN <dsl dsl dsl dsl dsl>
    - read on tools <dont forget about Cross over cable>
    - TCP/IP <of course>, IPX/SPX, dont get confuse NetBEUI with NetBIOS
    - DNS <haa..they love to ask about that one>/ DHCP<must must must know>/APIPA <how it is related to DHCP>
    - Class A.B,C IP addressing schemes< especially on C, since it is in use nowadays>
    - read on Subnetting, but dont worry too much..this is not CCNA <and i really really hope someone would invent some kind of a OS platform that includes Automatic Subnetting Ability. its a pain in the you know..to subnet>
    - Utilities <*ping, *tracert,Nbstat,netstat,ipconfig(so easy even a cave man can do it)>
    - Interpret the outputs from the above utilities <i couldn't answer any of the questions on Outputs on the exam since i was not expecting too much on those..ewww bummer>
    -hmm what else??
    -oh! cables, connectors and their characteristics <must know Cat3 and Cat5>

When you go sit an exam, do NOT let the question waste your time. If you don't know, mark it, then go to next question. Then, go back to marked questions before you press END TEST button at the end. Before the exam <best time is 11-2pm>, do a quick review on Cram sheets. Then, i recommend not to read or study anything 30 mins prior to exam. I want you to relax. Think of other things not related to exam...Listen to "Eye of the Tiger" song on MP3 ...lol

Good luck dude!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    certsguycertsguy Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I personally didn't think the test was that difficult. The technotes were really usefull. I also used the net+ book by Sybex. Just make sure you know the OSI model as well as port numbers, cable types(along with their specs) and topologies.

Good Luck! :D
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    The exam wasn't to difficult but it does depend on your experience and understanding of networking. I used the Mike Meyers AIO book, tests from here, the book and mcmcse.com and passed without a problem.

:D
  • Options
    nasunasu Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    is it harder than A+ ? i think it supposed to be easier because is less material to prepare for and is only 1 exam right ?
  • Options
    manicmanic Inactive Imported Users Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i thought it was easyer then A+ but i also feel you would risk failing if you ran in there with out studying. That damn OSI model!!!!!!
    "What do you want from me?" -Pink Floyd
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Simply because of the amount of information that is being covered, this exam is meant to be more difficult than the A+. This certification requires a bit more experience and experience with servers like Windows Server 2003, Apple OS X Server, Linux/Unix, and NetWare (2x,3x,4x,5x, and 6x). You do not have to be an expert, but you are expected to know some differences between versions, the utilities (what they are), and how to configure certain aspects. For instance, in NetWare, you need a log-in, password, tree, and context information just to log in! In addition, you have to have a grasp on Subnetting. I am not sure how others faired, but I had several subnetting questions that used CIDR.

At any rate, with some practice and studying, you should be ready for this exam. I suggest Exam Cram2 and Transcender to start. Also, have a look at this website for the excellent Technotes in a PDF format and the practice questions. http://www.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    resourcesresources Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why do most people say osi layer is difficult? i think is not
    A+ NETWORK+ MCP2000 MCP2003 (EC-COUNCIL) NSA CNST
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    resources wrote:
    Why do most people say osi layer is difficult? i think is not

In terms of what the Network+ requires you to know, it's not too difficult. But if you were to memorize each and every function (beyond the scope of Network+) which include protocols, functions, etc., you would be more than overwhelmed.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    umpitcherumpitcher Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    coldbug wrote:
    Is Network+ easy?
    If you have a good willpower, it is not. It won't be easy, if you have no desire to get it.

P- Physical
    D- Data Link
    T- Transport
    S- Session
    P- Presentation
    A- Application

Well that only works if you use "Please do not throw sausage pizza away". Can't forget the Network layer.
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    umpitcher wrote:
    coldbug wrote:
    Is Network+ easy?

P- Physical
    D- Data Link
    T- Transport
    S- Session
    P- Presentation
    A- Application

Well that only works if you use "Please do not throw sausage pizza away". Can't forget the Network layer.
    +1

Another one I was taught was, "All People Should Try Networking Data Physically."

A - Application;
    P - Presentation;
    S - Session;
    T - Transport;
    N - Network;
    D - Data Link; and
    P- Physical.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    BPM_33BPM_33 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just used the acronym:

--- P DNT SPA

worked for me.