MCITP: Server Administrator (3 Exams) -
70-640: MCTS: Active Directory, Configuring
70-642: MCTS: Network Infrastructure, Configuring
70-646: MCITP: Server Administrator

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator (5 Exams) -
70-643: MCTS: Applications Platform, Configuring
70-620: MCTS: Vista or 70-624: MCTS: Deploying and Maintaining Vista and 2007 Office System Desktops
70-647: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

MCITP: Server Administrator and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator (6 Exams) -
70-643: MCTS: Applications Platform, Configuring
70-620: Vista or 70-624: Deploying and Maintaining Vista and 2007 Office System Desktops
70-647: IT Pro: Enterprise Administrator

Upgrading from MCSE 2003
MCSE 2003 to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator (3 Exams) -
70-649 (Upgrade) + 70-647 (IT Pro: Enterprise Administrator) + (choose one) either 70-620 (Vista) or 70-624 (BDD).

MCSE 2003 to MCITP: Server Administrator (2 Exams) -
MCSA 2003 + 70-649 (Upgrade) + 70-646 (IT Pro: Server Administrator)

MCSE 2003 to MCITP: Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator (4 Exams) -
70-649 (Upgrade) + 70-620 (Vista) or 70-624 (Deploying and Maintaining Vista and 2007 Office System Desktops) + 70-646 (IT Pro: Server Administrator) + 70-647 (IT Pro: Enterprise Administrator)

Upgrading from MCSA 2003
MCSA 2003 to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator (4 Exams) -
70-648 (Upgrade) + 70-643 (MCTS: Application Platform) + 70-620 (Vista) or 70-624 (Deploying and Maintaining Vista and 2007 Office System Desktops) + 70-647 (IT Pro: Enterprise Administrator)

MCSA 2003 to MCITP: Server Administrator (2 Exams) -
70-648 (Upgrade) + 70-646 (IT Pro: Server Administrator)

MCSA 2003 to MCITP: Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator (5 exams) -
70-648 (Upgrade) + 70-620 (Vista or 70-624 (Deploying and Maintaining Vista and 2007 Office System Desktops) + 70-643 (MCTS: Applications Platform, Configuring) + 70-646 (IT Pro: Server Administrator) + 70-647 (IT Pro: Enterprise Administrator)
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    I wonder what the big difference between Enterprise Administrator and Server Administrator is? Vista knowledge? At this point I an thinking of just getting my MCITP in Exchange and the Server Administrator MCITP.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They talked about the difference in last weeks webcast. The SA is more focused on server operations while the EA is more focuses on overall design and implementation.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    So in other words:

MCITP Server Administrator = MCSA

MCITP Enterprise Administrator = MCSE

Now I know this is a pretty bold comparison but that is just what it looks like to me going by what is being said.
  • Boaz24Boaz24 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Royal,
    The upgrade tests are already Available ?

regards
    boaz.
    They were in beta at TechEd.
    Andy

Wow!! I can't believe 70-648 and 70-649 are already out! Seems a little odd to offer a test for a piece of software that is not even released yet.

Was this the way it was done when Server 2003 was coming out?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-649.mspx
    I don't think they were out that early for 2003. I think it has something to do with how much 2008 has been delayed. I think it was originally supposed to be released in the first half of '07
    Andy

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Gabe7055 wrote:
    Wow!! I can't believe 70-648 and 70-649 are already out! Seems a little odd to offer a test for a piece of software that is not even released yet.

Was this the way it was done when Server 2003 was coming out?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-649.mspx

The exams aren't actually out yet, it's only the beta exams that are out (if you do book the exam it'll come under the "71" bracket - 71 meaning beta, 70 meaning release):

"It is expected to be released in beta on June 4, 2007"

MS do that for all their new software.

-Ken
    Ya I did see that when I checked to see if I could book the exam. Still even releasing the beta this soon in the game seems odd to me. Perhaps I am just ill cause it's time to start hitting the books again :)
  • JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    I just came across this Windows Server 2008 Q&A http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2007/06/14/windows-server-2008-certification-paths.aspx

[edit by Webmaster: please do not quote entire blog entries]
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    JdotQ wrote:
    How is the ITP: Enterprise Admin an upgrade to MCSE? By retaining the Admin name in the title, it seems more MCSA-like. Is there a planned certification level between the base ITP certs and MCA - or higher-level ITP certs? the ITP:EA appears be design focused, but the title is admin? The primary reason we are not using the word "engingeer" is that it has long been problematic; Microsoft has been repeatedly sued over use of this title in different countries, and the word continues to cause difficulties.

That's one of the reasons Microsoft, as well as alot of the professional associations (Comptia, BCS, etc) are now refering to us in the IT field as IT Professionals. The BCS, for example, has a chartered status called CITP (Chartered IT Professional) to 1. recognise IT Pro's 2. to rival the Chartered status of other professions (teaching, engineering, lawers, etc), etc.
  • KenS-1KenS-1 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'[m looking forward to start the SVR 2008... any good recommend study materials..
    We need more IT budget...
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCTIP self paced training kit is coming 28 May 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Paced-Training-70-640-70-642-70-646/dp/0735625085
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A bit late, but would anyone like to see this post as a sticky? Let me know and it shall be done if there is a consensus.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's a good idea. Most posts regarding this topic are typically answered by referring the poster here.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After also recieving PM with vote for sticky, it is becoming a sticky.
    Also had a suggestion to edit the MCSE upgrade portion for clarity, also done.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gabe7055 wrote:
    So in other words:

MCITP Server Administrator = MCSA

MCITP Enterprise Administrator = MCSE

Now I know this is a pretty bold comparison but that is just what it looks like to me going by what is being said.

That's the feeling I get.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    royal wrote:
    Starting Fresh (No Upgrades):

Can these be done in any order?
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote:
    royal wrote:

Yes, although it would be in your best interest to do 70-646 last.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    astorrs wrote:
    hypnotoad wrote:
    royal wrote:

Yes, although it would be in your best interest to do 70-646 last.

Aww come on that one looks like the most fun.
  • kamarulazrinkamarulazrin Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the post! The paths shown above surely made it easier to understand/plan where I am heading to (just passed my 1st MS exam, 70-620 2 days ago).
  • BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a great Post and has been verry helpful icon_thumright.gif

However since Windows 7 Client exam has droped it could do with an update to the EA
    70-680 Windows7 Configuring

Great work fella

J
  • ritamshomeritamshome Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heyy Guys,

After someone has cleared MCITP Server Administrator and Enterprise Administrator what is the next cert that MS offers.. I would be targetting 70-693..and VCP 4 in vm platform... but for MS whats next?..:)

Cheers,
    Ritz.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    In addition to the Microsoft Certified Master cert, there is also the next step on the ladder, the Microsoft Certified Architect program.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ritamshomeritamshome Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea, I guess thats true bro!! but then I was looking towards security a bit (its where my heart is ) and the site states that MCM: Windows Server 2008: Directory is the best possible way out for me there however it focusses on Directory, (still I will give the 298 paper)... not security there...My dream would be one step ahead though... to the extreme you need to test yourself... and thats MCA: Infrastructure, If anybodys done it... a true genius. :) in MS arena.. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/architect.aspx ... for now a few of my freinds were suggesting Microsoft Exchange Server Certifications to get the messaging part conquered as its hot along with MCITP..--Required exams for MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator:
    70-236 TS: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring (grants MCTS credential)
    70-237 PRO: Designing Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
    70-238 PRO: Deploying Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 (grants MCITP credential)
    This is currently surely one of the best certifications you can get apart from MCITP:EA.... as they say...along with 70-652 (virtualization) and then hook up for the MCM program.. heck A lot of planning and a long way to go... :)

Cheers!
    Ritz.
  • ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Was wondering... Do people without MCSE but with MCITP mention the similarity on their resume? MS has done a terrible job in terms of educating about what this new batch of certs are all about.

I'm seriously thinking of putting MCITP: Ent admin (2008 version of MCSE) so that recruiters know wtf it is.
  • dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    ciscog33k wrote: »
    I'm seriously thinking of putting MCITP: Ent admin (2008 version of MCSE) so that recruiters know wtf it is.

I don't see any harm in this. The MCSE cert became known by people who weren't even in IT circles back in the early days (late 90s - 2000s) because companies were advertising a lot on the radio (at least in the NE US) that you could get an MCSE cert and walk into a job making 75K. People who knew zilch about computers had asked me about it back then. Fast forward 10 years, the glamour of the industry is gone IMO. Now, unless you're an MS shop, people are like MCIT what?

It's a shame that we have to educate the recruiter/agency, but it is what it is.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dfosbenner wrote: »
    I don't see any harm in this. The MCSE cert became known by people who weren't even in IT circles back in the early days (late 90s - 2000s) because companies were advertising a lot on the radio (at least in the NE US) that you could get an MCSE cert and walk into a job making 75K. People who knew zilch about computers had asked me about it back then. Fast forward 10 years, the glamour of the industry is gone IMO. Now, unless you're an MS shop, people are like MCIT what?

It's a shame that we have to educate the recruiter/agency, but it is what it is.

I think you are right. I'm gonna do that once i finish the cert. I guess MS doesn't name its certs to make life easy for recruiters, but they should have left the name alone imo. Once you've got high brand awareness, why mess with that by confusing everyone? Sure there are some slight differences between the old paths and new paths, but so what? They're close enough in their main purpose.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Apparently, the professional engineers' association (CCPE) in Canada had a problem with the term, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. They contend that an engineer is someone who holds a 4 year degree and not some boffin that dumped their way through 7 exams in 7 weeks and called themselves an engineer. I looked around but cannot find a link that confirms this is why Microsoft renamed their flagship cert.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com