application partition

tomeryaultomeryaul Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
can anyone help me understand what application partition is all about?
more specifically how does it interact with ADI DNS structure?

the reason i am asking cause every time i think of the word "partition" i get in my mind the image of hard disk structure lol so i keep failing to understand the combination of the words "application partition". so if anyone can please help me i would be most gratefull.

my exam is in 6 days and i am 100 pct in tcp/ip, DHCP, RRAS, security and conectivity and WSUS. just this DNS subject is my week spot and i understand that at least half the exam will be about DNS.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    An application partition is to allow administrators to store data on specific DC's rather than all DC's. This helps optimize replication. You can define which DC's hold a copy of the partition. In the case of DNS, only DC's that are also set up as DNS servers hold that partition, so not all DC's need to replicate DNS zone information.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • tomeryaultomeryaul Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so basicaly its to pin-point which DCs are replicated. thank you so much for your help.
    tomeryaul wrote:
    so basicaly its to pin-point which DCs are replicated. thank you so much for your help.

You got it. Your welcome! :)
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Correct me if I am wrong, but application partitions also enable application-specific information to be replicated across DC's. In other words, they serve as an outlet in which 3rd party applications can replicate certain data/information.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    application-specific information to be replicated across DC's.

Yes, that would be the data we are talking about. So it can certainly be used for third party apps.