Questions To Clear Up Confusion On Multiple Topics

proteus71proteus71 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
A week away from test time means time to clear all confusion; any help would be greatly appreciated:

1. NTFS Special Permissions: What is the difference between "List Folder Contents" (Read Permission) and "Traverse Folder" (read & execute permission).

2. Volume Shadow Copies: Which software needs version client software to access previous versions? (I believe XP and server03 do not need the client software)?

3. NTBackup.exe: Is there a switch that controls wether the backup will include the system state? (sortof like how /v will control wether the backup will conduct a verification).

4. Is there a simple explanation for EMS (Emergency management System). I have the MS Press book (nothing in it), Exam Cram software, and serched Microsoft's site, and I still don't understand how EMS is used in a live network.

Comments

• proteus71proteus71 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, it will be wierd answering one of my own questions, but I found an answer:

#1. List Folder Contents - Can view contents within that folder, but not sub-folders. Traverse Folder - Allows sub-folder contents to be shown.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To answer #2 - you do have to install the shadow copy client software on Windows XP and 2003 to access pervious versions of files.

To answer #3 - it looks like you if you type the following command it will backup system state, ntbackup backup [systemstate]. If you go to a command prompt and type ntbackup /? it will show all the options available. Here is the syntax for ntbackup.exe.

ntbackup backup [systemstate] "@bks file name" /J {"job name"} [/P {"pool name"}] [/G {"guid name"}] [/T { "tape name"}] [/N {"media name"}] [/F {"file name"}] [/D {"set description"}] [/DS {"server name"}] [/IS {"server name"}] [/A] [/V:{yes|no}] [/R:{yes|no}] [/L:{f|s|n}] [/M {backup type}] [/RS:{yes|no}] [/HC:{on|off}] [/SNAP:{on|off}]
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • proteus71proteus71 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    To answer #2 - you do have to install the shadow copy client software on Windows XP and 2003 to access pervious versions of files.

So, can I assume that XP/03 are the only OS's that can be used for previous versions? Or can other OS's also access previous versions (with the software, or course)?
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    proteus71 wrote:
    A week away from test time means time to clear all confusion; any help would be greatly appreciated:

1. NTFS Special Permissions: What is the difference between "List Folder Contents" (Read Permission) and "Traverse Folder" (read & execute permission).

2. Volume Shadow Copies: Which software needs version client software to access previous versions? (I believe XP and server03 do not need the client software)?

3. NTBackup.exe: Is there a switch that controls wether the backup will include the system state? (sortof like how /v will control wether the backup will conduct a verification).

4. Is there a simple explanation for EMS (Emergency management System). I have the MS Press book (nothing in it), Exam Cram software, and serched Microsoft's site, and I still don't understand how EMS is used in a live network.

Hi Prot,

2. -> Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 Server SP3+, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows 98 will require the client to be installed to my knowledge. (Windows XP SP2 includes the VSS client)
    Source, still not sure if 98 is possible, I've never tested it.

3. "C:\>ntbackup backup systemstate" would be the command you would need to issue within the CLI.
    Source

4. Read this

I hope that helps!
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    proteus71 wrote:
    sthomas wrote:

So, can I assume that XP/03 are the only OS's that can be used for previous versions? Or can other OS's also access previous versions (with the software, or course)?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e382358f-33c3-4de7-acd8-a33ac92d295e&DisplayLang=en

It looks like this client you can download from microsoft.com only supports Windows XP and Windows 2000 SP3+. I am not sure about Windows NT or 98SE.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2