MCSE Training Kit

austinsevoaustinsevo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone used the one for the 70-215? Ive been reading it. And the first chapter... wow im soo lost. im on chapter 4 now and i seem to be getting a better grasp on it. but far from tottaly understand it, i feel like im reading a computer dictionary.

Or am i just plain stupid? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site. While I have never done the curriculum, I just wanted to inform you since you're on 70-215 (Which I know is one of the earlier exams in the series), that the MCSE 2000 is expiring in March of 2008. Just figured I should let you know just in case you didn't know. You can read more about it here.

As for your inquiry, do you have much experience working on server technology? Many of the books are a dry read; there are exceptions, however. If you are looking into a career change or just want to "start" working on server technology, I would give a product such as CBT Nuggets a try. Even if you've been working in the field, CBT Nuggets is still excellent for training. The MCSE 2000 instructor, Dan (owner of CBT Nuggets) does a pretty good job. The MCSE 2003 instructor, James Conrad, is a very good instructor (my favorite), and is really enthusiastic and keeps things interesting. They do all kinds of things such as demos, whiteboarding, all kinds of analogies to better help you understand the logistics, and more.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • austinsevoaustinsevo Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you! It looksl like a great forum. Ive been hearing 2000 is going down. So maybe i should focus on the 2003 tests? ive been looking at the CBT Nuggets. i havnt gotten to the point where they have any for the 210 or 215.

what you said really reminded me, Should i just work on network+ and security+ certs till the new certs come out? As i am already on the 2153 moc. Should i just finish these 2 the 210 and 215?

as for my experience, i dont have much much server experience. Maybe 6 months to a year. But i have alot of help desk experience and hardware experience. Im planning on building a network at home soon so i can. Ill be building a Server with a DC and a SAN setup. With a new gigabit switch and cat 5e or cat6 cabling.

hopfully it will be really helpful for experience.
    Personally, I always recommend doing at bare minimum, A+ and Network+ first regardless if you're going into Microsoft or Cisco. If you plan on going into Microsoft security, then I would add Security+ to that. Waiting for the new line of certifications is always a possibility, but keep in mind that Server 2003 will be supported for years to come. Also, Server 2003 is more different to Server 2008 than 2000 Server is to Server 2003. It's a tough decision on which to go into if you're trying to get into the IT game. I would personally say do Server 2003 and then go to Server 2008. You'll be doing quite a few more exams and a lot more studying, but I think it'll be more beneficial in the longterm. Of course what you could do is have a Server 2003 box running alongside a Server 2008 box, and when you do an operating on one, know how to do it on the other. One thing to keep in mind, is that Server 2003 exam books will often state the differences between 2000 Server and Server 2003. I'm sure it will be very similar to Server 2008 books and comparing new functionality or changed functionality to its' predecessor, Server 2003.
    gotcha. well i already have my A+ i got that awhile back. But if i pass the 210 and the 215 will it still count toward the MCSE 6 core exams after they discontinue them?
    If you continue with the MCSE 2000 curriculum and they start discontuining exams, those exams will not count towards anything else. You'll basically have to start from scratch on the MCSE 2003 or the MCITP 2008.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    austinsevo wrote:
    gotcha. well i already have my A+ i got that awhile back. But if i pass the 210 and the 215 will it still count toward the MCSE 6 core exams after they discontinue them?

I don't think MS has said if they will award the MCSE 2000 after the exams are discontinued if you have the core completed. They did it for the MCSE NT 4.0, but I wouldn't count on it until you get confirmation.

If they do, you will need to take 215, 216, and 217 by next March. 270 (Windows XP) can be used instead of 210. 298 and 297 can be used to for the design exam requirement. And there are a bunch of valid electives for the 2000 track.

Honestly, unless you company is only running 2000, I would skip that track and go to 2003 or 2008.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    wow that really sucks, yeah i dont want to try to get all the certs. And if i miss one. they were all for nothing.

soo.... what should i do next? just work on my network+ security+ and OEM certs till then?
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm having a hard time answering that question for myself these days, let alone someone else.

Here are some questions to ask yourself:

Which ones interest you the most right now?
    Which ones will benefit you the most? (ie Make your job easier, get you a raise,etc)
    What OSes are you running at work?
    Will your company be upgrading anytime soon?

Most people will suggest starting on the Windows 2003 track because the OS will be around for a while and it is going to take some time for companies to start implementing 2008. The exception is if your company is an ealy adopter and you need the skills now because you will be upgrading soon.

I would suggest getting the A+/N+ combo because it is a good foundation and then start working on Vista because of the options you have. Vista can be used as both a client or an elective for the MCSE 2003 track. It also will give you a MCTS and is the beginning of its own MCITP track. It is also the client requirement for the Windows 2008 MCITP:Enterprise Admin track which will sort of be the MCSE for 2008.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    As of right now im not working, ive been doing helpdesk stuff for too long. And trying to get a network admin position is hard without any certs besides A+. I dont do much work with 2000, more of 2003 and XP. Im mainly getting certs so i can be taken more seriously.
    ajs1976 wrote:
    I'm having a hard time answering that question for myself these days, let alone someone else.

Here are some questions to ask yourself:

Which ones interest you the most right now?
    Which ones will benefit you the most? (ie Make your job easier, get you a raise,etc)
    What OSes are you running at work?
    Will your company be upgrading anytime soon?

Most people will suggest starting on the Windows 2003 track because the OS will be around for a while and it is going to take some time for companies to start implementing 2008. The exception is if your company is an ealy adopter and you need the skills now because you will be upgrading soon.

I would suggest getting the A+/N+ combo because it is a good foundation and then start working on Vista because of the options you have. Vista can be used as both a client or an elective for the MCSE 2003 track. It also will give you a MCTS and is the beginning of its own MCITP track. It is also the client requirement for the Windows 2008 MCITP:Enterprise Admin track which will sort of be the MCSE for 2008.

good luck with whatever you decide to do.