Options

Wireless Mouse and keyboard not detected in Vista startup

PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you came across this problem when starting up a brand new PC, when you are seting up a preinstalled version of Vista.

Basically when you start your PC and you get to the welcome to Windows Vista setup screens, you cant do anything else because the PC cant detect the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard, so you are basically stuck.

Any one had that problem and found a solution to it.

Any input would be great.

Regards

Eamonn
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use a spare USB or PS2 to startup and login. Then swap the mouse and see if it detects it. Check your batteries too.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I've had Vista installed on older Dell computers behave quirky with the more inexpensive KVM switches, but not with USB a keyboard/mouse connected directly. It could be a battery problem as Mark points out. Have you tried all the USB ports on the motherboard and using a non-battery powered USB mouse? Also make sure that the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS settings.

Does the computer's vendor or manufacturer have a technical support article about this problem posted on their Web site?
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Thanks all for the replies,

I had sugestted to this lady to try a wired mouse and keyboard, but she had just bought the PC with a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. And she had no other keyboard or mouse.

I went through all the steps:

Make sure that the batteries are in correctly and are good batteries.
    Turn on the mouse or reset the mouse.
    Make sure that the reciever is working correctly.
    Move devices that may interfer with the mouse or keyboard.

The keyboard started to work when i rang back and she is only using one reciever for both devices.

Seen as i have not used or troubleshooted wireless devices, i thought that the mouse would have its own reciever and the keyboard would have its own reciever.

Please correct me if im wrong.

I have been on the fujistu website and i think they need to improve there support section a bit.

All USB ports are good.

Regard

Eamonn
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    All of the wireless keyboard and mouse combos that I've used (Logitech and Microsoft) have only a single receiver. The receiver has a reset button just like the keyboard and mouse do.

It's a possibility that there is some RF interference causing communications problems between the receiver and the mouse. In North America, low-power RF devices commonly communicate in the 27MHz HF band. If someone keyed a walkie-talkie or Citizens Band radio near a computer, it could disrupt communications with the wireless mouse or keyboard. I don't know what frequencies are used by wireless mouse/keyboards in Europe, but it's worth checking into.