Options

CCNA or Network+ for my current situation?

davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

For your information, I'm a guy who doesn't have any I.T. certificate. I'm a fresh grad with a B.Sc in computer science. And I'm planning to find an entry level network-related job asap.

I was planning to study CCNA as my first I.T. certification.(that means I haven't start yet). However, I just learned that the new version of CCNA 640-802 will be available in august. Unfortunately, I can't find any book/video training for 802 yet icon_sad.gif

So, is that means it's better for me to go for Network+ now? or should I wait for new book and do the CCNA 802 instead? Or is there any other recommendation?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    That sounds like a pretty good plan. Go for the Net+ to get your feet wet and to wait for more material to be released for the new CCNA.
  • Options
    davidvoyagedavidvoyage Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx for ur reply Stotic,

Oh I also forgot to ask another question.

I know that for my first I.T. Job, it would be an entry level job for sure, since I don't have job experience. So no matter what cert. I will get, I still need to go through entry level jobs first. So, do I need A+ for an entry level I.T job? I remember I took an intro. to computing course in University. It covers stuff similar to A+, but not all. But with my B.Sc degree, do I need A+?
  • Options
    corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't say you absolutely need A+ but it will probably make it easier on you when you are searching for a job. Your degree will help but a lot of people like to see certs as well. I would say if you get A+ and Net+ you will have a lot easier time getting interviews/job offers.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Thx for ur reply Stotic,

Oh I also forgot to ask another question.

I know that for my first I.T. Job, it would be an entry level job for sure, since I don't have job experience. So no matter what cert. I will get, I still need to go through entry level jobs first. So, do I need A+ for an entry level I.T job? I remember I took an intro. to computing course in University. It covers stuff similar to A+, but not all. But with my B.Sc degree, do I need A+?

It can't hurt I have my A+ wasn't difficult to obtain, and i'm nearly done with my degree....it will benefit if you have any plans for the MS route using A+ and N+ as an elective for the MCSA
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, if you've got a bachelor's in computer science I would assume some of the classes you took earlier on would've covered a lot of the information you'd be tested on in the A+ and Net+ exams.

Assuming you've retained that knowledge, you would probably be able to breeze through the exams with a bit of studying and preparation.

I've taken like 2 intro level classes at my university and a lot of the fundamentals in the class overlapped with what I was reading in my A+/Net+ books through self-study.
  • Options
    rmensah1rmensah1 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My advice is, try to nail all the + exams (Network+, security+) then go for CCNA to make life easier for yourself. These are the foundations to nail big certifications in networking world.
    Every employer wants certified employee now.