SID's

amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
Hi,

Help please. I want to find a tool ( apparently an MS one ) that can strip out the SID's for 4 of our pc's. I dont want to go through the hassle of sysprep'ing them as they are working. We are on a volume licence.

Any ideas please?
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sysprep IS the Microsoft tool for stripping SIDs. Do you mean you just want to change the product id number?

Google for the "magic jellybean". However, I don't think it is capable of changing from a standard license to a volume license ID if that's what you are trying to do.

And apologies in advance if I misunderstood your query. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft Sysinternals NewSID sounds like the tool you are looking for:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/NewSid.mspx
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    we have 4 ghosted pc's which were not syspreped which are now going into the same workgroup.
    Perfect - thanks!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Workgroup?
    Does the SID even matter then?
    All things are possible, only believe.
    apparently yes so MS says

as you could end up with 2 machines being given access to another pc's resources when only one should.
    What's the real problem anyway?

The issue of duplicate SIDs are not a problem at all in a Domain-based NT network because domain accounts have SID's based on the Domain SID. For most networks where security is an issue, a domain based configuration is standard. However in a Workgroup environment security is based on local account SIDs. This means that if two computers have users with the same SID, the Workgroup will not be able to distinguish between the users. All resources that one user has access to, the other will also have access to. So if security is a concern and you are in a workgroup environment- duplicate SIDs will cause you concern.

Duplicate SIDs can also cause problems for removable media formatted with NTFS when local account security attributes are applied to files and/or directories. If this removable media is moved to a different computer that has the same SID, the local accounts that otherwise would not be able to access the files might be able to (if the account IDs happened to match those in the security attributes).

DONT ASK ME ... I JUST WORK HERE :D