Options

DNS server on Workgroup

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I configured a DNS server on a workgroup with some forwarders to the opendns. I setup a static IP on one of the host's to test. I get name resolution no problems.

but i get this error when doing nslookup even thoguh the query itself has no problems:-

"***Can't find server name for address Non-existent domain
Default Server: UnKnown"

Is this because I don't have a reverse lookup zone configured on the server? If this is the case then I think im ok as everything else works....

Also anyone have experiences with those cheap netgear home routers - if i don't configure the ip address of the host manually, and use DHCP from the router with only one DNS server mentioned in the DHCP configuration (the network DNS server) - it still manages to put the ISP DNS servers in the client DHCP configuration also & more strangely, if I put the Workgroup DNS server in the "primary" DNS slot on the DHCP list, it bypasses this IP and uses the ISP one's. Very fickled if you ask me. I would complain to Netgear, but its an old router and Ill probably get laughed at.

CHEERS!
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    Is this because I don't have a reverse lookup zone configured on the server? If this is the case then I think im ok as everything else works....

Yep, this error means you don't have reverse lookup.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeh sorry for the rhetorical question, but i normally do nslookup queries from my work network so that line looked alien to me, just wanted to confirm I understood why.

thanks,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.