CCNA vs. Network +

phatsoundzphatsoundz Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to get Network + now that i've got CCNA, how do the two compare? is Network + easier? think i can just wing it and go take it since CCNA is fresh for me?

Comments

• markieman31markieman31 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    eh. Kinda. The CCNA will provide you with maybe 60% of what you need to know for the exam. You already have more real networking knowledge that you need. You know about the cable types, TCP/IP and network troubleshooting. The problem though is CCNA is Cisco proprietary.

The net+ covers all kinds of junk. you need to know about IPX/SPX, Netbuei/netbios, as well as how to use network protocols with different types of OS's, like Novel, UNIX/Linux and MAC. Also needed is the older types of cable, like the coax and it goes into fiber cable as well, which I don't remember discussing much in the CCNA

If the questions fall your way, since the passing score isn't so high, you may be able to slip by with your current knowledge. If your willing to risk the cash, give it a shot...if you fail, you can always take it again. But i think it won't be as easy as one might think, due to the differences which I mentioned.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were you I wouldn't regress by taking the Net+. The net+ is like kiddie games compared to CCNA. I don;t think it will benefit you in any way. It will not help you get a job because you already have the CCNA so net+ is like a given. It won't help you gain knowledge because you have already passed the Net+ level material. The only way I could see it as a benefit, is just something to talk about. If you and your buddies are having a contest on how many certs you can aquire, then by all means go for it. Plus it is expensive.
    The Net+ is probably easier than CCNA intro. I mean I felt it was so easy, I was mad at myself for spending so much time on it when I could have been moving fwd. to other things.

That is my opinion. There is no right or wrong cert. path. Do what you think is best for you man!
    icon_wink.gif

Now to answer your question about winging it, ya you probably could with a low score. It's just a lot of trivial basics and easy troubleshooting. If you really really want to take the net+, I would pick up a cheap, quick net+ read and skim through it. DO a few practice tests and you should pass it with flying colors.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    There was a discussion on this topic the other day, but if you want the net+ the only thing that it will hurt is your wallet. It isn't going to make your resume look worse, if you want it go get it. It would be considered a stepping stone for the CCNA in reality and doesn't carry the weight a CCNA cert does but like I said it wouldn't hurt you.

:D
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rather than pursuing the Network+. why don't you put your time and resources into furthering your cisco track?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    yep I have to agree with Paul hear. Net+ is regression why not spend the time and money on CCNP / CCSP wich are more recognised and more informative.
  • phatsoundzphatsoundz Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies guys.....i was just thinking that network + is a resume filler that my employer will pay for....i am going to furthur my cisco path..ccnp or ccsp its just a matter of time......
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your employer is paying for it then doit do it doit! This exam is a lifetime cert so you don't have to renew it after 3 years.....The thing that puts alot of people off is the price of the exam but if your employer is payingfor it then why not? It is as you say, a resume filler perhaps more.....

I recently had a job offer for a VOIP job (they were willing to train up on VOIP) but I turned it down. Before I even got to the interview stage the recruiter forwarded me the feedback in regard to my CV on a feedback spreadsheet which read "Good networking knowledge (CCNA and CompTIA Network+)........" I was surprised that they even noticed it, but it just shows you.

Not many employers (if any) will be "wowed" by a lone network+ but it sounds like you're in a job that you want to be in and are getting training subsidised for you so you'd be mad to turn down any certs they will pay for.

Remember that Net+ is a MCSA elective too if you decide to go down that route later in your career you have a jump start.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    malcybood wrote:
    If your employer is paying for it then doit do it doit! This exam is a lifetime cert so you don't have to renew it after 3 years.....The thing that puts alot of people off is the price of the exam but if your employer is payingfor it then why not? It is as you say, a resume filler perhaps more.....

I recently had a job offer for a VOIP job (they were willing to train up on VOIP) but I turned it down. Before I even got to the interview stage the recruiter forwarded me the feedback in regard to my CV on a feedback spreadsheet which read "Good networking knowledge (CCNA and CompTIA Network+)........" I was surprised that they even noticed it, but it just shows you.

Not many employers (if any) will be "wowed" by a lone network+ but it sounds like you're in a job that you want to be in and are getting training subsidised for you so you'd be mad to turn down any certs they will pay for.

Remember that Net+ is a MCSA elective too if you decide to go down that route later in your career you have a jump start.

Completely Agree. If your company is paying you would be stupid to pass on it.

I mean it's like going to dinner ordering a bottle of wine, the wine is the best on the list but then management offers you a free bottle, slightly lower on the list BUT you are already too sozzled to care and you accept right???!?! I would!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    UNLESS...

Can you get your employer to spring for ANY exam? If so, get them to pop for the Switching exam, or the Routing exam... start moving to CCNP. I can't imagine an employer stating that you can have the N+, but no other.

I suddenly recall a scripture from my religious days that draws a parallel: "All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous" (I can't believe I applied scripture to networking... go figure). In other words, it may be free, but it still could be time better spent.

My opinion is: the N+ is a step backward after having a CCNA. Even if it's free, why bother!

Knowing what I know now, I needed the intro that the N+ provided before stepping into Cisco... if you don't, don't.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in a similiar situation. As part of the NT 4.0, I had taken the Networking Essentials exam, which I think is even more similiar to the Network+, then the CCNA Intro. I was going to train someone on basic networking, so work paid for the books and some prep time. After the training got canceled, I decided to keep studying and take the exam. I had to pay for the exam. I didn't have any problem passing the test, but as I look back on it, I wish I would have used the time and money towards a different exam.

If your work will pay for other exams, go for another Cisco exam. Or if you want to branch out the MCSA might be a good choice. You will get a good foundation on Windows server with the 70-290 exam. The 70-291 will hammer on DNS and give the MS perspective on NAT, RRAS, DHCP and other networking concepts.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, so i'm gonna play devil's advocate here...

If I understand what most of you guys are saying, N+ will not provide you with anything that CCNA wouldn't?? It's a waste of time if you have CCNA or going for it??
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
    pretty much ya....
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    r_durant wrote:
    Ok, so i'm gonna play devil's advocate here...

If I understand what most of you guys are saying, N+ will not provide you with anything that CCNA wouldn't?? It's a waste of time if you have CCNA or going for it??
    Most employers see Net+ as being lower level than CCNA. I don't see a real reason to have both. Work on furthering your Cisco knowledge or increasing your market value by obtaining other sought after certs, such as MCSE.
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
    I think certifications help you choose the path you want to go. the IT industry is very diversified and i think you should specialize in one area. If you want to work on the server side in your career, then go get your MCSA or E. If you are like me and could care less about server administration and user support, printers, Active directory, ugh, lol, then go get certs that are geared towards networking like cisco or checkpoint or juniper. I personally am not very far in my career, I am working my first real IT job as a sys admin for a medium sized co. I got my 2 year degree about 6 months ago. Next year I will have 2 degrees in IT, an AS and a BS. Those degrees are broad and could get me a wide variety of jobs. But I know exactly the path I want to take, and the certs I choose and the knowledge i aquire along the way will take me there.

Some people will say get every cert you possibly can, it makes you more valuable. That may be true, but the IT industry isn;t going away anytime soon. There will always be a need for highly specialized professionals. I dunno, thats my take on certs.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ha, I just wrote a two page anti-comptia rant. I deleted that, as it's was very nagative.

I feel A+ and Net+ will not be very helpful when compared to more specific certs like MCPs and Cisco ones. Focus on those and you'll be much more employable than the comptia.

If I could do it over, I would not have bothered with Comptia...
    -Daniel
  • iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't forget that the A+/Net+ counts as an elective for the MCSA as well though.

And the Net+ will help as a stepping stone in a way to prepare you for the CCNA.

I suppose the new CCENT from Cisco is equivalent to the Net+ though since they cover a bit of the same material. The Cisco Press book even has a chapter dedicated to reviewing the Net+ exam in it.

The MCPs leading up to the MCSA are good for help-desk type things but you sure as hell won't know how to solve hardware issues if you haven't been playing around with computers while growing up or have any prior experience working with computers in a professional environment.

The A+/Net+ still have value even if not as much as Microsoft or Cisco certifications. Plus they're fairly easy to obtain if you already have a bit of a background in computers.

At least that's my take on it.
  • The Prize Is LobsterThe Prize Is Lobster Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    heres my take....

Net+ is a pretty easy exam. If you did a few practice tests, read up on some basic stuff you dont know, and took the test you would probably pass. I had few problems with the exam.

Granted, yeah, its lower on the totem pole, but its one more cert and its easy to get.
  • phatsoundzphatsoundz Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah thanks guys....im thinking its easy to get...im still riding high on ccna, but dont want to get cocky.....

im just thinking that its a free resume filler that my manager has urged me to get..and that the company would pay for....i figure i might just go take it...cant hurt either way......

i'll furthur my Cisco certs in about a year or close to when the ccna is to expire...that way it'll renew it....
  • horsehorse Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My opinion,:

I started with the A+ then N+ to end up with CCNA.
    To be honest I spent 8 months Studying N+, and I read many books and have been in IT for over 8 years. I Passed but it’s not exactly Easy!!!!
    Truth of the matter is Cisco and Microsoft train on there own products while Comptia does not, however All the major companies including Microsoft and Cisco contribute towards Comptias Exam criteria
    As mentioned above IPX/SPX is in the exam as well as MAC, Lots of detailed cables and Linux questions... ccna?? nope!
    So you dont know that area then do u?? do it! :)

As for Cisco its Cisco based products (of course) so to say you can pass the N+ just because you have Cisco is rubbish, I know of someone that failed Net+ but passed CCNA...

Peoples exams will vary and so will their knowledge and expertise.
    There are people out there that can read a book from front to back and pass.
    There are people that just do practice exams and pass
    And then there are people that do the above but have good practical knowledge to boot. icon_wink.gif

Net+ I would say is def before CCNA in my view however thats not to say that once you have ccna you cant do Net+ (it increases your skill set)

If you wanna improve with Cisco I would look at CCNA Security or Voice (new editions)