Gentoo Linux

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyboy here used or is useing Gentoo or Sabayon Linux ?
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    mgmguy1 wrote:
    Has anyboy here used or is useing Gentoo or Sabayon Linux ?

Using Gentoo on a few boxes here...
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Ok to carry on this thread im just wondering:

Gentoo or Ubuntu? (For normal daily activities) These two look like the best choices to me. (Backtrack for security testing on LiveCD)

Looked at Sabayon but didnt catch my eye.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used Gentoo a long time ago. It is a harder Linux Distro to install and use, with that said it is a good distro to learn linux on in my opinion. I beleive Sabayon is based on Gentoo but easier to install.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • bmack1082bmack1082 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You will definitely learn a few things about Linux the first time you do a stage 1 install of Gentoo. The biggest benefit I've found when it comes to Gentoo is how customizable it is. With a fresh install Gentoo is pretty bare bones, allowing you to pick and choose what software you want installed. This makes hardening and application maintenance a breeze compared to some other distros.

btw. don't be scared off because you have to install a lot of software, gentoo's package manager (portage) is F*ing awesome.
  • JR-13JR-13 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I beleive Sabayon is based on Gentoo but easier to install.

That's my definition of it as well. Sabayon was built to be 100% Gentoo compatible, which means you can have a pure Gentoo either through the Gentoo Live CD or the net install CD, or just use Sabayon. Once Sabayon's installed, everything is done the same way as Gentoo. The hardest thing from my experiences in dealing with Gentoo is dealing with the compile times and reading all of the portage commands.

Ubuntu is awesome too and I'm using it as a dual-boot with XP on my laptop. Since Ubuntu is based off of Debian (for the most part, anyways), you'll find just about every program you will need in the repositories. The same could be said with Gentoo as well, but be prepared to wait a while when everything is downloaded, compiled and installed on the Gentoo/Sabayon system.

If you want to really get into the nuts and bolts of Linux, try LFS (Linux From Scratch)
  • TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sie wrote:
    Gentoo or Ubuntu? (For normal daily activities) These two look like the best choices to me. (Backtrack for security testing on LiveCD)

For normal day activities, Ubuntu is absolutely the best choice. Gentoo is one of the Distro's I would absolutely NOT* recommend using for day to day stuff

*I love Gentoo and have had it installed multiple times, but for daily work Ubuntu is miles ahead
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tesl wrote:
    Sie wrote:

For normal day activities, Ubuntu is absolutely the best choice. Gentoo is one of the Distro's I would absolutely NOT* recommend using for day to day stuff

*I love Gentoo and have had it installed multiple times, but for daily work Ubuntu is miles ahead

Ubuntu is the most windows-like linux distro out there. For all you point-and-clickers. icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • UpAndCommingUpAndComming Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Long time Gentoo user here. I have been using alomst nothing but Gentoo since 2002. If you need something tailored for your needs Gentoo is the best choice. If it's desktop os for en-dusers you are looking for, Gentoo is not the answer as you can save a lot of time by just slapping ubuntu on their box.