Options

Question on a Question

I took the self assessment question on the microsoft.com website and a question I missed was:

Peter installs a secondary storage device on his Windows XP Professional computer. The device does not support safe removal. What should he do to ensure that he can safely unplug the device?

Answers below. The Correct answer is A.

A. Uninstall the device, and then scan for hardware changes using Device Manager.

B. Disable the device using Device Manager, and then unplug it.

C. Unplug the device, and then restart Windows XP.

D. Disable the device, and then scan for hardware changes using Device Manager.

E. I don't know

My question is, why wouldn't D be the correct answer? If you uninstall a device, then scan for changes isn't windows going to find an uninstalled device and automatically reinstall it?

Appreciate any comments/help.

Thanks,
Adam

Comments

• Options
    Im not wayneIm not wayne Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You want to disconnect the device, not disconnect then in turn reconnect correct? So the second part of that you said you would reconnect which would not remove the hardware.
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

70-270- Book in progress
    70-290- coming soon
    70-291- coming soon
    70-293- coming soon
    70-294- coming soon
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I'm just saying it sounds like the answer is wrong. I know if I uninstall any device driver. Then do a scan for hardware changes Windows will reinsall that hardware. So I wonder why the answer on microsofts website would tell you to uninstall a driver then scan for hardware changes to reinstall it?

Is it because it is an external storage device and once you uninstall the driver then reinstall it it safely "saves" your data to the device? I definetaly won't remove it for more than 2 minutes this way.

I'm just trying to figure out the answer is all.