Intro and Remote desktop/Terminal Services question

qnetqnet Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I have a question but, this is my first time posting so I should introduce myself. My name is Quentin and I am the sole proprietor of a small I.T business outside outside of Atlanta Ga. I have been in business for about 4 years, doing mostly pc repair and small business network setup. I am certified on Windows 2k server and professional as well as A+ and Network + . I once was certified CCNA but - as of October of last year - it has expired. I am only a test away from MCSA on Win2k2000(70-21icon_cool.gif but, I have finally decided to pursue my MCSE on Windows server 2003 because, most of the networks I have came across are running Windows Server 2003 and, I also want to learn and expand my knowledge. I just bought the MS Press book for 70-290 and so far I like it very much.

Any way, on to my question. I am attempting to use remote desktop for one of the labs and am having trouble getting it to work. I have used and configured Remote desktop before but not using evaluation copy's of the server software. Everything seems to be fine, windows firewall is enabled but I have exceptions for RDP and port 3389 is open, but when I attempt to login use remote desktop I am unsuccessful and it said that there are not any terminal servers on my domain. I have used evaluation software before and have had no problems with remote desktop/terminal services. Both of my test/lab machines are running Windows server 2003 SP1 and I am in the process of installing SP2, I'm not sure if that will help or is the issue. I might figure it out sooner or later but,any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Regarding the certification path, just note that if you did complete 70-218, then you would only need 70-292 to upgrade your MCSA 2K to MCSA 2K3. You could then persue your MCSE 2K3 from there.

Regarding the Remote Desktop issue, turn off the firewall on the server and try it again to eliminate that as a possibility. I know you said you have an exception for RDP, but I have seen people allow it incorrectly on the firewall. Are you trying to connect via computer name or IP address? Can you ping the server? Can the server connect to your workstation (if using XP Pro), the Internet, or ping something?

Oh, and before I forget, welcome to the site! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • qnetqnet Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Regarding the certification path, just note that if you did complete 70-218, then you would only need 70-292 to upgrade your MCSA 2K to MCSA 2K3. You could then persue your MCSE 2K3 from there.

Regarding the Remote Desktop issue, turn off the firewall on the server and try it again to eliminate that as a possibility. I know you said you have an exception for RDP, but I have seen people allow it incorrectly on the firewall. Are you trying to connect via computer name or IP address? Can you ping the server? Can the server connect to your workstation (if using XP Pro), the Internet, or ping something?

Oh, and before I forget, welcome to the site! icon_cool.gif

Thank you. The server can ping all computers on my network but, no computer can ping the server. I tried it with the firewall off also, with no luck. I know the issue is with the server, but I'm not sure what it is. I know it's probably something simple that I have overlooked.

I disabled the firewall again and now it is working, I must have had the settings wrong like you said.

Thanks