Preparing for Security+

matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
Hi everyone,

I was looking for some tips on what books I should be looking into for this certification? I was looking at ExamCram2. Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Matradley
From Security+ book by Sybex:
"One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I can't comment on the ExamCram series for the Security+, I can tell you that the 2 books I would recommend most are from Sybex and Passport. They are very easy to read and cover the objectives very well between the 2 books. The practice exams on the CD with the passport book are the best as far as what to expect from the real thing.

Oh, I just also noticed that you are considering the I-NET+... Just want to remind you and anyone else that the exam is going to be retired on December 31, 2007.
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24618
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I can't comment on the ExamCram series for the Security+, I can tell you that the 2 books I would recommend most are from Sybex and Passport. They are very easy to read and cover the objectives very well between the 2 books. The practice exams on the CD with the passport book are the best as far as what to expect from the real thing.

Oh, I just also noticed that you are considering the I-NET+... Just want to remind you and anyone else that the exam is going to be retired on December 31, 2007.
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24618
    I have been reconsidering my i-Net idea. :)

Thanks for your information. I found the Sybex version, but I cannot seem to find the Passport version. I saw a Syngress version.

Edit: I might have found it - is it this one - http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Mike-Meyers-Security-Certification-Passport-Trevor-Kay/9780072227413-item.html?ref=Search+Books:+'Security+' ?
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Yes that is the Passport book.

I also have the Syngress book... Excellent book, it is much harder to read and does go far more in depth than CompTIA requires for the exam which is the only reason I didn't mention it. Oh yeah, and the practice exams in the Syngress book are about the farthest things from the Real exam that anyonce could possibly imagine!!!!!
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Yes that is the Passport book.

I also have the Syngress book... Excellent book, it is much harder to read and does go far more in depth than CompTIA requires for the exam which is the only reason I didn't mention it. Oh yeah, and the practice exams in the Syngress book are about the farthest things from the Real exam that anyonce could possibly imagine!!!!!
    Thanks again! I will not bother with the Syngress version then. It looks pretty though!