Addressing on exam

NarcissaNarcissa Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im aware there is no subnetting on the net+, you just need to know the classes etc of IPs.. but anything else? im only asking because i had major addressing issues when i took my ccna a few months ago.. and i wouldnt want them to reoccur ..

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You only need to know the classes of IP address...that's it!

No subnetting!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • 0828608286 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello there my friend. OK to answer your question: just know the following classes of IP addressing for the Network+ exam:

Class A 1-126 (255.0.0.0)*
    Class B 128-191 (255.255.0.0)*
    Class C 192-223 (255.255.255.0)*

Loopback test 127.x.x.x (you have elimiate this one from the list you are given when answering a question on the exam, don't worry its an easy question).

Class D and Class E are not tested on the exam! If you want a full explanation of what is on the exam get the exam objectives and mark off the items you have learned when preparing for the exam: http://www.comptia.org/certification/Network/objectives.asp

* refers to the default subnet mask for the respective Class address.

Finally, please read the other posts that I have given regarding the Network+ as they contain some excellent study tips! Best of luck with your studies and your exam!

Kind regards,

08286 :D
  • NarcissaNarcissa Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey thanks alot..

i pretty much knew all that.. but i guess i didnt make my question quite clear.. ie. mac addressing and ipv6.. do we need to know specifics or just what a general one looks like
  • 0828608286 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In short you need to be able to identify a MAC or an IPv4 or IPv6 Address from a list given to you in the exam. Please print out the exam objectives at the link I gave in my previous post: its all there in black and white. A must: print the exam objectives, read it and learn it!

I did not get any questions on IPv6 but I did have to identify a MAC address from a list of four possible choices and there was questions on Class addresses (approximate number of hosts per Class address as well as the other stuff I posted above i.e. ranges and default subnet masks)but since you know that you should do well on those questions.

Kind regards,