Options

Network Monitor to Calculate downtime

seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
Hoping someone on here can recommend something that will make my life easier.

Scenario:
We have a large WAN with remote offices connecting via hardware VPN.

I need a way to monitor those networks for downtime. I understand there are alot of network monitoring software, but i have been fruitless in finding what i need.

Features needed:
Log when a network goes down.
Log when it comes back up.
Calculate the downtime.

Example:
Network Down up total time down:
Network A 10:00 am 10:17 am 17 minutes.

I know someone on here has needed something to perform a similar function. There are just soooo many products out there for me to try and wade through to find what fits my needs.

Comments

• Options
    Well ive had a few people recommend Nagios for remote network monitoring. Anyone have any experience with it?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SolarWinds

I get hit on the blackberry every time a specific nodes go down and then again when they come back up.
  • Options
    The getting notified when it goes down and comes back up isnt really a problem ( we have that in place already). I need something that will then calculate the downtime and log that.

Seems like such a simple problem....but its being a pain.

Its not been a high priority problem so i havent spent alot of time on it. Just seems like there has to be an easy way.
  • Options
    So im talking to myself.....im not crazy i swear.....

Anyway,

It looks like I may just write something to do what I need.

fping + perl should do the trick

fake, almost, sorta pseudo code

ping a list of IPs continually
    if return indicates unreachable fork a child process
    parent process continues to perform pings

child:
    input a time stamp and which IP failed into sql server
    ping the address till it returns rechable
    put a time stamp into sql server
    die

Anyone see any problems with that?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't had much time to play with it, just installed this morning, but you could give Hyperic a try. There's a pretty powerful open source/free version for download and so far it looks pretty damn good. I had Nagios ready to test today aswell but I haven't a clue about Linux, and I don't have time to learn a new OS for the sake of a monitoring tool. The fact Hyperic had a native windows install sold me on it as first test choice, and everything I've seen so far points to keeping it. I haven't gotten too deeply into the reporting tools but it looks like it can give historical availability reports which should help you with recording downtime.

http://www.hyperic.com/
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    One thing ive learned is that Nagios can be a chore to get installed. I actually sat down and got it all setup last friday or so. I havent taken the time since then to get the plugins and everything actually performing tasks and gathering data.

If you are unfamiliar with linux i would probably advise against trying to install it. There are several packages for it, as well as needing a web server with php support and setting up a mysql server. Then there is the task of tying it all together. Some of it is automated in the install files but alot has to be done by hand.

If you do decide I would recommend googling for a howto....ive got some links but they are at work.
  • Options
    srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    Where I work right now, we use Nagios to monitor almost every net that we manage.. so yeah, it works quite well. Haven't really played around alot with it myself, but the people in our NOC seems to like it :]. I think you should give it a try.
  • Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    we use What's Up Gold where I am at. We can get latency reports, dropped packets, etc, as well as site status messages.

there are too many features to list.
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    examsbynumbersexamsbynumbers Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cacti or SmokePing?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Spent most of the afternoon on Hyperic again and I love this thing. It took a while to get it monitoring key processes but it's all coming together nicely. I really like that you can have it take actions based on alerts (whether that be resource usage or loss of availability etc.) that can be configured to do just about anything either by direct controls (eg. service stop/start) or batch files. It's very nice to have an app. that not only seems to do everything I want it to do but researching those functions leads to others I hadn't even though of needing/being feasible in a free app. 2 BIG thumbs up.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?