Question for 70-270 MCPs - Did you pass 70-271 easily?

examsbynumbersexamsbynumbers Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im studying for 70-270 at the moment with an eye to 70-271 & 70-272 afterwards. After looking at the 70-271 books, im wondering if there is any point? It seems to be the same material. Or am I wrong? Any advice for a would-be XP MCP & MCDST?

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say 271 is easier than 270.
    After looking at the 70-271 books, im wondering if there is any point?

The point is to get your MCDST.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • examsbynumbersexamsbynumbers Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry meant, is there is any point getting a 70-271 book?

The objectives seem the same as 70-270, just not in as much detail. Some questions seem to be identical to the questions in the 70-270 MS Press book. The Microsoft Press book for 70-270 is 1300 pages and only 850 pages for the 70-271 book. I got most of the exams questions right in the back of the 70-270 book. I need to touch up on a topic here and there, but that should see me passing 70-271 if not 70-270?
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I also thought that 271 would be a piece of cake after i did my 270, however just by doing some practice tests out there, i knew i wasnt ready. Remember the 271 exam expects you to do things that a helpdesk or a technician would do. Where as the 270 was more on the administration and setting up side of xp, more what a sys admin would do. I do not know how familiar you are with xp, like the different options, menus, settings, etc.. But be advised you are expected to know these everyday things in xp by heart for the 271 exam. Also when you go to 272 it covers microsoft office applications and its menus, options, etc...

Hope this helps you out,

win2k4
    I would know XP menus and options pretty well. Not all of them but alot. I need to use RIS & a distribution store installation in the lab to get the commands into my head, cause I don't install it like that where I work. What version of Office does 70-272 use? As long as it's not 2007 I should be OK. I'm going to do the 2003 MOS exams in a few weeks once I get through the books, so maybe I could hit two birds with one stone.

What practice tests did you use win2k4? Are the questions you get in the back of the 70-270 MS Press book similar to what you get in the actual exam?

Thanks for your help & sorry for so many questions. Im new to these exams and this is my first MCP attempt! icon_redface.gif
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I would know XP menus and options pretty well. Not all of them but alot. I need to use RIS & a distribution store installation in the lab to get the commands into my head, cause I don't install it like that where I work. What version of Office does 70-272 use? As long as it's not 2007 I should be OK. I'm going to do the 2003 MOS exams in a few weeks once I get through the books, so maybe I could hit two birds with one stone.

What practice tests did you use win2k4? Are the questions you get in the back of the 70-270 MS Press book similar to what you get in the actual exam?

Thanks for your help & sorry for so many questions. Im new to these exams and this is my first MCP attempt! icon_redface.gif
    I think it is time to have a look at Microsoft's objectives - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx . RIS and Sysprep will be on the 70-270 exam. You will require some level of experience with those two distribution tools.

Why are you going for the 70-272 and the 70-270? Are you planning to become an MCSA/E and a MCDST? I do not believe the Office 2007 version will be on 70-272 - it will probably be either Office XP or 2003 - I could be wrong.

Edit: Here are the exam objectives for the MCDST - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/requirements.mspx .
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    the MCDST xp exams (271, 272) use Microsoft Office 2003. the MCDST upgrade exam for Vista (621) deals with Office 2007. I would look over those objectives for the 271 exam, can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EOD

Also here is a great practice test website for 271 and 272 tests: http://www.certquest.net/testoptions.aspx?test=271

Also if you havent already looked at the technotes for 270 for the sections that are re-covered for 271 using the obejectives link to compare & the 270 practice test on this site is also really great and helped me a lot for 271.

And if you see your not scoring that well on these tests, I would recommend the MS Press 271&272 books for MCDST.

Hope this helps you some more,

win2k4
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    i would rate 271 to be much easier than 270 .... anyday .... icon_exclaim.gif
    But the point is, 271 alongwith 272 makes MCDST ! .... so watchout ...
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
    Matradley, hopefully at the end I will be XP MCP & MCDST so I need to take 70-272 for the second exam for the MCDST then eventually I want to go for the MCSA. Thanks for the reminder guys, I looked at the exam objectives before I started and couldn't really figure out what was going to be asked, so I just put my head in to the books. Now that I look at the objectives again, it makes sense now.

Thanks for the practice test link, I was at 100% half-way through but ended up around 78% before it crash after the final question. I probably should have taken my time as it only took 45 minutes and I should have re-read some of the questions. I kind of didn't read all of the options before choosing on some of them and got them wrong.

Anyway, Thanks for all your help guys! I think I'll skip buying a 70-271 book and hope for the best on the exam.
  • BabietechBabietech Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    win2k4 wrote:
    the MCDST xp exams (271, 272) use Microsoft Office 2003. the MCDST upgrade exam for Vista (621) deals with Office 2007. I would look over those objectives for the 271 exam, can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EOD

Also here is a great practice test website for 271 and 272 tests: http://www.certquest.net/testoptions.aspx?test=271

Also if you havent already looked at the technotes for 270 for the sections that are re-covered for 271 using the obejectives link to compare & the 270 practice test on this site is also really great and helped me a lot for 271.

And if you see your not scoring that well on these tests, I would recommend the MS Press 271&272 books for MCDST.

Hope this helps you some more,

win2k4

Hello

I was currently studying for my 70-271 but I have not completed it yet because my mind veered toward the 70-270 because of one exam. I read on the forum that the exam for 70-270 is harder than 70-271. I feel the 70-270 should be the easiest to pass. Anyway, I brought the book Exam Prep 2 (70-270 ) and I'm ready to study for the exam and taking notes. I'm thinking about buying the MSpress 70-270 and read that when I'm done with the Exam Prep 2 book. Are these the two books I need to study for the exam? I know that MSpress 70-270 gives you hands on exercises. Then, I hope it is not too take to study for the MS 70-271 and 272 exam. I don't know why I get the feeling that these exams will not be available for long. I don't want to cram studying the materials before the retire dates.and it is not good for me. I was told by Microsoft these exams will not retired for a while. I hope they are telling the truth.