Options

Vlan interfacess

ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
Can a 2924 only have one ip address? I was trying to assign an ip address to vlan2 and it wouldn't let me do this until I shutdown interface vlan1.
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• Options
    r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could be wrong, but I think that's a limitation of the 2900 series...only one VLAN interface can be active at any one time...so as you said, if you bring up VLAN2, VLAN1 goes down...

Maybe someone can confirm or correct me...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you can only assign one ip address to a switch for management purposes.

To assign address ranges to different VLANS and be able to communicate between them you need to implement inter-vlan routing which is covered in the CCNA curriculum. Read up on this subject and you will understand more.
  • Options
    I understand that. I am talking simply about a switch having multiple IP addresses for management purpose. There was not anything about a need to communicate between vlans.

Oh well. It's not a big deal. I was just curious as to why it was happening. I didn't get any error message; the change simply did not go through.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ok then .................the simple answer to your question is yes, you can only have one management ip address on a 2900 series switch
  • Options
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is common on older switches such as the 2900, 2950s, 3500XL series switches, most newer
    switches and routers have their own 10/100 management port as well as you can assign
    multiple ip's per vlan
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1