Options

taking a break from CCNA to knock out the Net+

SHatmPVCSHatmPVC Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I was initially studying for the CCNA when I decided to take a look at the Net+. After scoring roughly 59% and then 68% on practice tests without ever even studying for the exam, I figured I'd grind for a two weeks then go take the exam. I doesn't seem too overly hard especially if you already have working experience in IT, aside from a bit of memorization. My question is, how much does the Net+ help from an employer standpoint. Is anyone getting raises or becoming more valuable to a company after getting this cert?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I doubt there are significant raise nor promotions due to acquiring the NET+ I cannot think of anyone I know who had this happen, nor did it happen for myself.

What it does do, is give you a baseline record of a network and springboard for future more advanced certs.

Definately a good one to have, but no...no windfall of cash because of it. You'll be happy you invested the time to prepare and take the exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    I doubt there are significant raise nor promotions due to acquiring the NET+ I cannot think of anyone I know who had this happen, nor did it happen for myself.

What it does do, is give you a baseline record of a network and springboard for future more advanced certs.

definitely a good one to have, but no...no windfall of cash because of it. You'll be happy you invested the time to prepare and take the exam.

Cool. Thats fine, I didnt expect anything, just wondering. Overall it seems like a pretty easy cert. With the exception of the Mac/Novell/ and IEEE Standard questions, everything else was pretty straightfoward.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SHatmPVC wrote:
    So I was initially studying for the CCNA when I decided to take a look at the Net+. After scoring roughly 59% and then 68% on practice tests without ever even studying for the exam, I figured I'd grind for a two weeks then go take the exam. I doesn't seem too overly hard especially if you already have working experience in IT, aside from a bit of memorization. My question is, how much does the Net+ help from an employer standpoint. Is anyone getting raises or becoming more valuable to a company after getting this cert?

thats exactly what I did. Scored decent on practice tests, then did a 2 week hardcore study session, and passed respectfully. Really no pay raise with net+, but I can notice that the knowledge HAS helped me out in the workplace significantly. It also shows an employer that you know the basics and you have a good understanding of networking in general.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snadam wrote:
    SHatmPVC wrote:

thats exactly what I did. Scored decent on practice tests, then did a 2 week hardcore study session, and passed respectfully. Really no pay raise with net+, but I can notice that the knowledge HAS helped me out in the workplace significantly. It also shows an employer that you know the basics and you have a good understanding of networking in general.

yup. AND now with the new release of the CCENT, I'm gonna knock out the net+, take the ICND 1 and get CCENT, then take CWNA. Thats my plan!
  • Options
    supergeekhandGuysupergeekhandGuy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the main reason why most people really want to take the Network+ exam is that most of the material covered on this exam will pop up in other exams as well; like the A+ exams and CCNA and even some Microsoft!

Did you take the exam yet?
  • Options
    I think the main reason why most people really want to take the Network+ exam is that most of the material covered on this exam will pop up in other exams as well; like the A+ exams and CCNA and even some Microsoft!

Did you take the exam yet?

True. I've only taken practice tests which I have passed twice now. Whenever I quit being lazy, I'll set and exam date and go do the thing.