Someone using my Email as a SPAM portal

wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
Guys,

Most frustratingly today I have 3456 failed message reports, with the contents of the email as someone using my email to send a bank fraud email.

Firstly it has crippled my server! And will now no doubt get my email added to the "global spammers list" and make people think my domain is involved with Bank fraud.

My host have been nothing short of useless saying nothing I can do. Im sure when they reliase that my Site bandwidth has already exceeded 50GB this month they will do something.

In the mean time any suggestions?
Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.

Comments

• seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    They are using your email account or your email server?

if its your server i would remove the ability to relay mail
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Sounds like you have it setup to relay smtp, go into relay restrictions and setup the appropriate domain/ip's that you want to be able to use your smtp server.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    and now my hosts have suspended my account! saying I breached t&c's by spamming! even though I raised a ticket with them days ago!

Time to move hosts again, they have been nothing short of useless, perhaps someone can reccomend a good host.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't move anywhere until you secure that server icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wildfire,

same thing happened to me icon_sad.gif

those people sending email with my-email-address as sender.
    so they just like create email account - and put my email address as their account name!!! icon_confused.gif
    that was really bad thing - the most crazy thing is that those people send me their junk emails also icon_confused.gif
    but - thank GOD, doing OK now.
    you can trace back their email and IP. check your SMTP log.

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    wildfire wrote:
    perhaps someone can reccomend a good host.
    www.theplanet.com - best there is. They have managed servers as well.
    wildfire wrote:
    Most frustratingly today I have 3456 failed message reports, with the contents of the email as someone using my email to send a bank fraud email.
    Sounds familiar. I'll send you a PM in a minute because I don't want to give any any crazy ideas to script kiddies who happen to read this...

btw, 9 out of 10 hosts would normally shut you down when your server spams (or even when someone hacked it), doesn't matter how or who (it's usually 'their' IP address that gets blocked, and other clients that have the problems). BUT, since you already submitted a ticket, it's an outrage imo. Feel free to post the name of the hosting company to prevent others from choosing such a bad host. Despite of the service agreement, they could solved and prevented the situation in matter of minutes if they'd be capable and replied to the ticket in a timely manner (within a couple of hours max). If you have a 'managed' service, they should have configured the mail server properly (no relaying, but also a low max nr of recipients and low max attachment size per message will help). The problem is usually that there are small letters in the agreement that allow them to do basically anything they want.

PM sent...