Options

iPod folder querey - podcasts

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me why my podcasts that are in the "podacsts" default folder in iTunes do not automatically sync to "podcasts" on my iPod.

They do sync across but I can only find then by artist or album on the iPod or I can create a playlist for them in iTunes and they then show up in playlists on the device, but I don't really wanna do this for every set of podcasts I subscribe to.

Can anyone advise how to resolve this so that podcasts in iTunes sync to podcasts on the iPod?

It's a 30GB video iPod and I'm running iTunes 7.2.0.35

Comments

• Options
    It's okay people I've figured it out myself......it turns out that podcasts are not set up to sync in iTunes by default!

Sorted now!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Be sure to download and install the 7.3 update to iTunes for Windows. It includes a QuickTime security update.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    Be sure to download and install the 7.3 update to iTunes for Windows. It includes a QuickTime security update.

JD, thanks for the tip but when I upgraded to 7.3 I started getting iTunes complaining "The iTunes Music Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-50)."

I tried all the usual stuff, reinstalling iTunes, pointing my library to a different folder then eventually managed to fix it by doing the following:

- Ensure iTunes is closed.
    - Move My Documents/My Music/iTunes/iTunes* (2 files, *.itl, and *.xml) to Desktop
    - Start up iTunes, it will create the two files above.
    - In iTunes: File :: Import...
    - browse to the desktop for .xml files
    - Select the iTunes Music Library.xml

After this iTunes imported my library again and stopped complaining, however it does mark all my podcasts as being new as the library was recreated- no biggie though.....it works now, which is all I care about!

Cheers
    Malc
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Wow, I've upgraded iTunes on several XP machines and have never received an error.

There are two Apple support articles that describe error -50. There are several odd conditions that cause -50, but I'm betting it's most commonly fixed by removing cached temp files.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303887
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304996
  • Options
    Yeah it was rather odd, I've always used iTunes and kept it updated despite only buying an ipod in the last few months but I've never had any issues updating versions.

The other strange thing was that it appeared to mess up my Norton securityt center saying that it needed updated even though all definitions were up to date. It switched off the web page fraud monitor for my browser and after first reboot my machine had Norton completely disabled with the "red x" with no option to enable. After I uninstalled iTunes and rebooted again a couple of times it resolved the Norton issue.

The only thing that fixed the error in iTunes I was getting though was the fix I mentioned. This was before I read the fixes you supplied but this article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303887 is what it was related to I think as I did notice it was crashing out on 2 particular video podcasts when I sync'd the device, also when iTunes loaded up and when I navigated between folders/playlists. It was fine on the old version though.

Fixed now and hopefully all secured up now, but will bear this one in mind.