Thin Client of Choice?

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Im currently doing some research at my company for some new Thin Client machines to deploy at our new office sites. Currently we use WYSE brand, but I find them to be rather expensive. Im not brand-biased, its quality not the name thats important. Looking around I notice that companies like HP and others' prices are quite lower than WYSE with comparable specs.

Anybody here have any experience with Thin Client hardware they would like to share?

As always, thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!

cheers!
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I like quad paper with a #2 Ticonderoga pencil. That's pretty thin. ;)
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    We actually moved away from thin client as it didn't meet the needs at the time, about 2 years ago. However I'm starting to look at it again, so I'd be interested in this thread.

As for recommendations, I saw a make and model that looked very good (pleasing to the eye) as well as very good (light on the pocket). I'll try to find the article, if I can find it, I'll post it :)

-ken
  • TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have about 10 wyse devices at work. They are pretty good. They are older models and don't have windows xp installed or anything like that. We just have their firmware on them. If 3 years haven't had any problems with them. Very Reilable.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TBLTZ wrote:
    I have about 10 wyse devices at work. They are pretty good. They are older models and don't have windows xp installed or anything like that. We just have their firmware on them. If 3 years haven't had any problems with them. Very Reilable.

we currently have about 5 WYSE boxes (3older ones and 2 newer ones). The newer ones are about 2 years old. They are very dependable. However, I noticed other companies, i.e. HP, with comparable models for a little more than 1/2 the price of WYSE.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Well we have about 50 wyse winterms out in the field right now. They are dependable and easy to work with using the Wyse connection manager.

I also have 130 of these http://uk.wyse.com/products/hardware/thinclients/dualvideo/ that just came in today that I need to have prepped for the coming months.

I really dont have any experience with any other brands of thin clients but have been satisfied with the quality of the WYSE. Unfortunately i dont sign the checks so i cant comment on price.
  • TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    snadam wrote:
    TBLTZ wrote:

we currently have about 5 WYSE boxes (3older ones and 2 newer ones). The newer ones are about 2 years old. They are very dependable. However, I noticed other companies, i.e. HP, with comparable models for a little more than 1/2 the price of WYSE.

I can't comment on price. I know sometimes if you talk to sales reps they will give you a demo to use for a week or two to try it out and make a decision. Or you can buy one and test it.
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We use Igel units in our remote office: http://www.igel.com/

I put 10 of the 2510XP units in a few months back and have not had ANY trouble from them (yet!). I would however suggest that you purchase an addition unit to use as a "hotswap" which can just be plugged in and switched on should one of the other units fail.

The igel management console is extremely easy to use and the units took no time at all to configure and send out.

The only thing I would say is stick with XPe if you can, I trialed a Linux unit and had trouble getting system tray apps to work over Citrix (as in they wouldn't at all!). The only work around was to use a published desktop over published applications which is more insecure accordinging to various forums posts that I read on the subject.

Let us know how you get on,

Regards,

Luke
    thanks for all your advice gents! Ill let you know how it all turns out.

• TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I would go with HP.

Here is what most other vendors in our industry use.

http://www.dtresearch.com/prod_webDT168.html
    I ended up with the HP 5135 thin client. for a cool $200 I get the box, power cable, opti mouse and keyboard. Plenty of usb ports and all that jazz. Supports ICA and RDP (all I need is RDP). Setup is fairly straightforward. However, any change you make to the settings requires a reboot (and I mean ANYTHING). Boot-up time is minimal and compared to the other WYSE boxes we have, this thing connects in a flash (spurisingly). So far, its almost half the cost and has the same features if not more/better ones.

Now the real test; how will it hold up in a warehouse environment over an extended period of time icon_confused.gif:

• dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have around 100 HP thin clients at my school and I have had very few problems. I think they give you the best bang for the buck.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A company use to bring thinclients to me from time to time, and once I was asked to put a CD-rom drive in one. Most of the ones I worked on were small and didn't have the slot for one on the case, but had a spare IDE connector. I ended up having to jerry rig one. icon_lol.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680