Finally!

MCSE: Security.... What a long strange trip it's been.

Passed 298 and 299 this morning.

I was strong on 298 with a 973. 5 testlets and 35 questions. Reading all the background on the first testlet took a lot of time for me and I finished that one with about 3 minutes to go. Too close for comfort and kind of stressful. For the second one, I just skimmed over the background info and went to the questions quicker and that seemed to help, so for the last three, I went straight to the questions, then wnet back to the background info for specific info. And that worked really well for me. But almost all of the background stuff is useful info for answersing the questions so if you use this method, be careful not to miss anything. It was almost like a graduation exercise, wrapping lots of topics into one exam. I liked the format and to be honest, I didn't think I missed a single question, but I obviously I did. It would have been nice to go out with a perfect score.

299 was very difficult for me with a 786. I think I must have been a little tired from taking the previous test becauseI had trouble concentrating and struggled to REALLY understand some of the longer questions with long answers. 30 questions which seemed OK when it started but I kept makring Questions for review and then started trying to figure out how many I could miss and still pass. I took an hour and 10 minutes and when I was done, felt like it could go either way. Lots of PKI, CA and IPSec questions. I swear there were a few terms I had never seen before, anywhere, so I don't know what that was about.

Also I found it interesting that both exams referenced SUS instead of WSUS, not that itmade a great deal of difference.

Anyway, glad that is behind me. Now I can really hammer the folks that work for me that have been slacking on their MCSEs because the boss hadn't finished his...

Thanks to all who post here. It's a great site with fantastic resouces and people!

Good luck,
"What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations, both on the passing scores and the new cert. Two tests in a day, that's got to be harsh, even with the fact that they're closely related. You going to begin studying for the MCITP upgrade path, do another cert-path altogether, or take it easy for a while and bask in the afterglow of passing the tests?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Nicely done sir.
    Dustin Leefers
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Thanks, all. I think I will take the rest of the summer off AT LEAST from studying for any certs, Maybe the rest of the year. I have to "re-up" my CCNA by next May so I will probably look at something in the Ciso world to go along with that.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    wow.... icon_eek.gif

both in one day, good job sir!!!!
    get back to studying!!!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    props to you dude, 2 exams in one day is not easy by anyones standards (Especially mine) icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • vviivvii Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great job !! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Obtained: A+, MCSE03, CCNA & CCNP

Coming Soon: Juniper ...
  • NetworkheadNetworkhead Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done, man.
    I want to take 3 exams in one day. CCNA, 70-299, 70-285
    Another step closer to my goal.