Direct IP routing (crossover)

VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
Hi

I have 2 XP clients joined to a wireless network. I also have wired NIC's in both XP clients and a crossover cable between both.

I want the two XP machines to swap data via the wired connection only, and not via the wireless network which is used for net connections only. How do I do this?

Someone has mentioned "direct IP routing" (or something along those lines).

Help appreciated!

Charlie.

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    you could possibly use the ROUTE command on both machines at the dos prompt.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To configure the direct connection between the two computers you will need to designate it as a different IP subnet, when you connect to it just use the IP address of the other computer on the new IP subnet and it will use the point-to-point wired connection to get there.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    dtlokee wrote:
    To configure the direct connection between the two computers you will need to designate it as a different IP subnet, when you connect to it just use the IP address of the other computer on the new IP subnet and it will use the point-to-point wired connection to get there.

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean though. Both of the machines have IP addresses (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3). I have set up shared folders on one machine that I need to access from the other with the wired connection.

How do I know if the IP addresses I have set up on the machines are that of the wired NIC's and not the wireless ones.

Can I have it in idiot terminology please :)

Cheers

Charlie.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go to the properties specific to the wired nics. Do not set them to DHCP or they may be on the same subnet as your wireless. You should hard code something like 192.168.100.10 on one and 192.168.100.11 on the other. Set the subnet mask (255.255.255.0 will work for simplicity sake) and you can either try leaving the dafault gateway empty or use the IP of the other computer - you may have to experiment.

After that, check your routes with the "route print" command. make a static entry if necessary with "route add -p 192.168.100.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.x" replace x with the appropriate host address. Note it will be different on each computer.

You may even need to go so far as to set a #pre entry in your lmhosts file of the other computer and specify the wired nic address, otherwise netbios may rely on an arp entry specifying the wireless nic for the other computer and you won't be talking on the wired interface.

The uncertainty here is because of your use of a crossover cable and what to use for a default gateway, so experimentation may be necessary.
    All things are possible, only believe.