Pearson VUE are not doing Microsoft Exams anymore

Just saw this link posted on Trika's Microsoft Learning blog icon_eek.gif
http://www.pearsonvue.co.uk/home/gsn/msvoucher

Anybody got more info on this?
Yes we can, yes we can...

Comments

• markieman31markieman31 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    can you provide a parent link for that one? the link to where you found that?
  • WanBoy67WanBoy67 Member Posts: 225
    http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2007/07/03/lifecycle-of-new-generation-certifications.aspx

Check the comments at the bottom of the page, currently it's the last comment
  • markieman31markieman31 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That really sucks icon_sad.gif
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That'd odd, especially since Pearson VUE claims to not know what's going on.

Could be related to exam center security since it finally became a hot topic at Microsoft, but I have to say the security department of Pearson VUE has always been A LOT more responsive to my braindump and **** site reports than Microsoft. Ah well, what do I know... seems there are suddenly a lot of experts on that matter. Could very well be something entirely different, maybe they just had more complaints about Pearson VUE, or Prometric is cheaper. icon_wink.gif Either way, I'm sure we'll find out soon considering this will affect a lot of people.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to drive a couple of miles extra for my next Microsoft exam.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My experiences of Pearson VUE and Prometric have been very much different. When I go to Prometric, they make sure I have no electronic equipment on me and offer a storage locker to store my goods in. They also have several security cameras watching all the cubicles. When I have gone to Pearson VUE, out of about 7-8 times, only once have they asked me if I had any electronic equipment. I have used two different Pearson VUE centers and neither of them had any cameras or seemed to care much about the security and integrity of the exams. I literally could have brought books into the exam center and nobody would have known. It just seems like the overall testing environment at Pearson VUE is that they don't care about the integrity of the exams. Of course each center is different depending on the personality and mood of the person who is working there, but from visiting two different Pearson VUE centers, I have had the same feelings regarding both.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If it is security related it has probably more to do with test centers in certain Asian countries where they don't just bring material 'into' the exam room.

The Pearson VUE center here used to be Prometric too, so I never really noticed a difference myself. I've heard horror stories about both though.

But here's an older topic from about a year ago that shows the proper attitude imo: "Pearson VUE closes down a brain **** site" At least Mark Poole speaks the type of language the vendors should use more often.

Anyway, it's still just a wild speculation. They probably think they have a very good reason because this will certainly hurt Pearson VUE. 4000 Pearson VUE test centers world wide won't be able to deliver Microsoft exams anymore. Ah well, if they have an average of 10 desktop PCs per test center, according to Microsoft they will be able to save $2,225,200 on power-savings if they move to Windows Vista...
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    Perhaps this is localized to the UK?
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    matradley wrote:
    Perhaps this is localized to the UK?

im thinking the same thing, as I see nothing about this while browsing the North America side of things.

This would totally suck as the pearson vue test center is minutes away form my house, and the next prometric one is about 30 minutes further out not including traffic.

that and I dont see anything from Microsoft site either
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On Trika's blog, one of the commentors mentioned that an official announcement is coming next week.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Further light to shed upon this topic. It's worldwide.

Google ' Vue No Longer Microsoft Testing Partner ' This is where I found this information. It's the first link. I'd post a link to the URL but the forum keeps blocking the domain name...

A copy of the email Pearson VUE sent to partners.
    Microsoft have announced that they will no longer provide testing via the Pearson VUE test centre network from 1st January 2008.

Pearson VUE will, unfortunately, be unable to sell vouchers for ANY Microsoft exams after 31st August 2007. After this date, only candidates with prepaid vouchers will be able to register.

Please ensure that YOUR candidates are aware of the following key dates:

31st August 2007
    Last date for voucher purchase.

31st August to 31st December 2007
    Registrations for candidates with pre-paid vouchers only.

31 December 2007
    Last date for Pearson VUE Microsoft exam delivery.

If you would still like to purchase vouchers before 31st August 2007, please click here.

Pearson VUE will, of course, go from strength to strength and will continue to offer a full range of exams, including Cisco, CompTia and many others (click here to find out more) outside of the Microsoft range of certifications. Rest assured, our commitment of service to you is still our highest priority.

Remember, Pearson VUE have NO MINIMUM requirements for test volumes.

For more information click here or email our sales team.

I too cannot find any confirmation at VUE or Microsoft's website icon_confused.gif
    I think the whole thing is odd considering that VUE was the test provider at TechEd a few weeks ago.
    Andy

• drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT'S A TRAP!!!!

seriously though, until I got word from MS or VUE, I'd take it with a grain of salt.
    Absolutely. But it is on their own website (maybe not the US website - but why would it be UK only?) - maybe they've been hacked? icon_confused.gif:
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Has anybody called the U.S. Pearson VUE Voucher Store (800-869-4101) and asked?

http://www.pearsonvue.com/contact/voucherstore/
    But if we did that then we couldn't gossip unknowingly about it. icon_lol.gif
    I would doubt that they would know, if there hasn't even been an official announcement. I don't live in the US btw. As far as I can tell, most sales people have no idea what they're selling in the first place. What? We sell vouchers? You sure? icon_lol.gif If this does happen, they will still be selling vouchers for nearly 2 months and they won't stop doing exams until the end of the year.

Let's wait and see if any more information comes to light. icon_rolleyes.gif
    This would seem to confirm the move.

Prometric FAQ regarding the change.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:

I would pretty much say that seals the deal..

This just officially added 30 extra minutes to my drive time for MS exams icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Perhaps things will change by then. PearsonVUE could modify their testing procedures in order to accommodate this change. Otherwise, I will be driving up to two hours away for Microsoft Exams.
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
    The center I test at is both a VUE and prometric center, so this change will not effect me very much. For those of you that it will cause problems, start raising hell with Microsoft. If you let them know, they might do something about it, but if you don't, they have no reason to make changes.
    Andy

I guess I lucked out. I have several of both around me.
    I wonder if Prometric is going to offer the academic 072 series?
  • bearfanbearfan Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've taken all my tests through VUE because they have a test site just 3 miles away. The closest Prometric site is about 18-20 miles.

The security policies are supposed to be the same and determined by the vendors. If some test centers are lax, its probably that individual test center and not Vue or Prometric. I'd think there would be just as many incidents of people cheating at Vue as at Prometric.

My fear is this move will make tests much harder to schedule. The many people who now go to Vue will have to go somewhere else and how will Prometric accomodate them unless they open a lot more sites?

What are people's personal experiences at both Vue and Prometric?
    bearfan wrote:
    I've taken all my tests through VUE because they have a test site just 3 miles away. The closest Prometric site is about 18-20 miles.

The security policies are supposed to be the same and determined by the vendors. If some test centers are lax, its probably that individual test center and not Vue or Prometric. I'd think there would be just as many incidents of people cheating at Vue as at Prometric.

My fear is this move will make tests much harder to schedule. The many people who now go to Vue will have to go somewhere else and how will Prometric accomodate them unless they open a lot more sites?

What are people's personal experiences at both Vue and Prometric?
    From what I see, there are few Prometric sites in Canada in comparison to PearsonVUE. A horrible decision on Microsoft's part.
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    I have to agree with everyone one here...this just sucks.

I have gone to Vue because the test center is 30 minutes away.
    The closest Prometric site is an hour away in good traffic icon_sad.gif

not fun, hope all the vue test centers switch to prometric or vue gets their act together.
  • kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow...i live in the Bahamas and there are no prometric testing centers over here. Exams are going to be expensive for me to aquire now.....

Well..I have to finish up mcse before its too late. More incentive!!...

This is crazy!!!...i really wish microsft hadn't done this or at least gave a warning much more earlier. I doubt centers over here will switch to prometric in time...

But i'll keep my fingers crossed.
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry kenny, but I find it hard feeling sorry for you...I mean, c'mon, you live in the BAHAMAS! :D

I have a Prometric center 10 minutes from me, so I guess I'm lucky.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    ajs1976 wrote:
    The center I test at is both a VUE and prometric center, so this change will not effect me very much. For those of you that it will cause problems, start raising hell with Microsoft. If you let them know, they might do something about it, but if you don't, they have no reason to make changes.

Same here! I have a testing center only a few miles from me that doubles as both a Vue and Prometric center. I've actually never tested with VUE before.....